Trying to ID

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to see new coral store today...and the guy is super knowledgeable, but had no idea what these are...Other than from Indonesia.
Can anyone help with ID and par placement perhaps? still acclimating them.
Thank You so much.

image1 (18).jpeg image0 (31).jpeg

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPS is not my thing but it is gorgeous. I’m sure the SPS gurus will get you an ID.
That would be nice. I have them in 300 par, so either way they should be alright.... still, if one needs higher that would be good to know lol :slightly-smiling-face:

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top: maybe an Acropora nasuta but the growth is all out of whack, possibly secondary to fragging or bacterial issue. I’d probably pass on that guy.
Bottom: possibly Acropora spathulata.

CaptPatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top: maybe an Acropora nasuta but the growth is all out of whack, possibly secondary to fragging or bacterial issue. I’d probably pass on that guy.
I also thought the bottom could be a Spath, I recently got a battlebox and one of the frags was a spath that looks pretty similar

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bacterial infection? How can you tell?

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blobby atypical growth patterns can be due to bacterial or viral infection. An example would be “coral growth anomalies”, which have a high correlation to nearby human populations.

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also thought the bottom could be a Spath, I recently got a battlebox and one of the frags was a spath that looks pretty similar

Blobby atypical growth patterns can be due to bacterial or viral infection. An example would be “coral growth anomalies”, which have a high correlation to nearby human populations.
ok, but what if that's just how it grows? I mean, not even sure what it is... ? possible? I'll have to look that up, and learn more about it. Thank You

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Went to see new coral store today...and the guy is super knowledgeable, but had no idea what these are...Other than from Indonesia.
Can anyone help with ID and par placement perhaps? still acclimating them.
Thank You so much.

image1 (18).jpeg image0 (31).jpeg
For starters, tenuis coral and needs to be at upper third of tank under medium flow and light with good nutrient availability

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the second one looks like acropora aspera. The coralites go from small to large at the bottom and are scale like. Also maybe similar to samenoensis but the axials are too small. Love this coral, even if I am wrong.
The first one I agree has stalled growth and has some misshaped coralites. Can’t really I’d it with that one picture. Can you post some more pics with it in different angles? If I had to guess I would say it’s possibly acropora austera. All the fat round coralites point that direction ime, but again need more pics.

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the second one looks like acropora aspera. The coralites go from small to large at the bottom and are scale like. Also maybe similar to samenoensis but the axials are too small. Love this coral, even if I am wrong.
The first one I agree has stalled growth and has some misshaped coralites. Can’t really I’d it with that one picture. Can you post some more pics with it in different angles? If I had to guess I would say it’s possibly acropora austera. All the fat round coralites point that direction ime, but again need more pics.
THAT'S IT!!! Acropora Austera! I have it in the tank.... I will try to get more soon when lights ramp up.
Thank You

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 62 36.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back