Trying to identify this coral

Koaleigh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, we got this piece of live rock and didn't even notice this furry looking green and grey coral, we originally bought it as it has pulsing xenia on it but the xenia died but this mystery coral had been gradually covering the rock and growing well. It was suggested by a friend that it could be an encrusting hydnophora, but I can't find any pictures on the net that looks exactly like it and hydnophora have long stinging sweepers and I have not seen any at all at night. I would really love to exactly identify this coral. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.
Screenshot_2018-01-15-23-17-14.png
Screenshot_2018-01-15-23-17-23.png

Mari

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would second encrusting hydnophora. Even before I saw the first opinion hays what i thought it was. Same exact growth pattern. Zoom in on some of the google images since they are colonies. It may not have sweepers just because it’s not in the mood but i bet you it killed the xenia. Careful putting any corals near it.

OP
OP
Koaleigh

Koaleigh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would second encrusting hydnophora. Even before I saw the first opinion hays what i thought it was. Same exact growth pattern. Zoom in on some of the google images since they are colonies. It may not have sweepers just because it’s not in the mood but i bet you it killed the xenia. Careful putting any corals near it.

Thanks for the quick response and your valued opinion, and I never considered that as to why the xenia died, interestingly enough tho there is a Christmas tree worm growing and thriving on the same rock, it has doubled in size since we first noticed it, and it's almost touching the hydnophora yet must by immune to its stings, is this possible or is it just lucky to have not been stung yet, or does this possibly mean it's not a hydnophora?

Mari

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick response and your valued opinion, and I never considered that as to why the xenia died, interestingly enough tho there is a Christmas tree worm growing and thriving on the same rock, it has doubled in size since we first noticed it, and it's almost touching the hydnophora yet must by immune to its stings, is this possible or is it just lucky to have not been stung yet, or does this possibly mean it's not a hydnophora?

Love Christmas tree worms. A nice surprise. They can be in many different hard corals. I’d assume anything with a calcium skeleton with similar density to porites. Whether the worm will be stung by the hydnophora, I’m not sure. It will definitely be more resistant to it than other corals would. The worm may go out of its way to keep its delicate feathers off the flesh of the coral. I wouldnt rule encrusting hydnophora out.

Mari

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only other place I’ve seen that tentacle texture is on the edges of a pavona. I’m not sure if encrusting pavona exists, but if it did, i doubt it could kill xenia with its sting. Hydnophora is just a notorious stinger.

OP
OP
Koaleigh

Koaleigh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You can get a better look at the coral on this video and how it looks when moving in the current, plus how close the Christmas tree worm is to it yet the ctw seems to be unaffected by it and is growing bigger as the weeks go by.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Koaleigh

Koaleigh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only other place I’ve seen that tentacle texture is on the edges of a pavona. I’m not sure if encrusting pavona exists, but if it did, i doubt it could kill xenia with its sting. Hydnophora is just a notorious stinger.

There are encrusting pavona, just found this picture, looks slightly similar just different color, can't rule it out tho as corals can come in a variety of colors.
Screenshot_2018-01-16-01-01-51-1.png

OP
OP
Koaleigh

Koaleigh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
593f99aef8250f9fb6c01891d17a79e9.jpg

A good encrusting hydnophora picture.

That looks similar too, but what I have looks more furier, kind of like the fur of a rabbit.

Last edited:

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pavona can sting, dont have the longest tentacles but pack more of a punch than say acropora, would it kill xenia... maybe?
b2b9611fb1a9f3fee9466e8afab10a43.png
close up of my pavona while its polyps are out.
Not an encrusting, but polyps are few mm long. Feeding tentacles are about 1cm long or so.

Never seen a hydnophora coral to say one way or the other.

OP
OP
Koaleigh

Koaleigh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pavona can sting, dont have the longest tentacles but pack more of a punch than say acropora, would it kill xenia... maybe?
b2b9611fb1a9f3fee9466e8afab10a43.png
close up of my pavona while its polyps are out.
Not an encrusting, but polyps are few mm long. Feeding tentacles are about 1cm long or so.

Never seen a hydnophora coral to say one way or the other.

Looks very impressive but mine is not a deep green like that, that does not mean to say mine is not a pavona as many corals can come in different shades of color, thanks for your input and sharing the picture of your impressive pavona.

OP
OP
Koaleigh

Koaleigh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote is hydnophora. You won’t see the sweepers unless they decide to attack.

Thanks for your vote, and that is what I'm leaning towards now, when I was watching different videos on YouTube trying to find one that looks like mine I did see a time lapse video of a hydnophora attacking an acro, it was mesmerizingly fascinating to watch. I never did find one that looks exactly like mine tho, so even tho we now believe it's a hydnophora I'm still curious as to its exact name as I saw there are so many types, it may be that I'll have to eventually settle on just an encrusting hydnophora, but I'm not ready to give up yet to try and get a complete identification of it.

OP
OP
Koaleigh

Koaleigh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

RobertN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that link, and I agree with you that I most likely have a hydnophora, I guess the most confusing thing for me initially was the amount of different hydnophora's, there being encrusting, branching and plating species, plus a myriad of different colors too.
Yeah, the different species do have a fair amount of variability between them regarding growth habit/appearance.....rather like Montiporas or Acroporas.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back