Trying to justify a controller

Chiefmaster30

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I really need a controller for my reef? I can’t afford an apex so I’m thinking about getting the reefkeeper lite plus. I have a 125 gallon tank with 30 sump! I run 3 Mars Aqua Black boxes. Can I even hook them to a controller? For flow I have 2 pp15’s and a 800gph voyager stream pump. I dose brs 2 part using a jebao doser. Help me justify getting this!

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you need it on a set up like that. To me the advantage of a controller are things like being able to control a calcium reactor, complex lighting system, heaters, wave pumps, etc. All you would be able to do with those pumps is turn them on or off. On a more simple set up, it's fine to just use analog timers. For temperature you could use a ranco controller if you want more reliability. I'd save your money for more useful upgrades.

sandalscout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got out of the hobby 5-6 years ago, I had a RKL+, and I really liked it. So when I got back in, I seriously considered getting another one. Since I already have a bunch of Samsung SmartThings stuff in my house, I ended up getting some switchable outlets to control the pumps that I want to turn off for feeding and the like. Since so many seperate systems already have nice controls that a reef controller would not be able to take advantage of, I realized that they only reason I would really need a full blown controller is if I was using probes to control reactors and things like that.

The Apex is nice, but I understand that ReefKeepers haven't really advanced much in the last few years. My lights have a nice controller already built in, my pumps are on smart outlets, and the only thing I would use the RKL for would be temperature controls and ATO. I ended up going with an Inkbird ITC-308 for temp control, and an AutoTopoff nano setup for ATO. I think that I saved about $50 over the RKL between them, and there is less wiring run for my tank now. I personally found it hard to justify on a relatively low-tech system.

esolo16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you really need one? No, probably not.

Personally, I travel a lot for work and mine gives me peace of mind. Access to Apex Fusion from anywhere is something I cannot live without. I can open my phone and immediately know if something major is off based on pH/Temp/float switches. I have installed float switches everywhere for this very purpose.

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last thing to will ever regret is an APEX
So far my Apex has been amazing. It's so easy to use, can access it anywhere, and I love being able to log all of my parameters that I test for in one place. But, it wouldn't be worth it on a simpler set up. I have a lot of lights to control, a calcium reactor, multiple heaters, multiple pumps and my skimmer that I can place on feed mode very simply. And the fact that now you can update the system via wifi is amazing.

OP
OP
Chiefmaster30

Chiefmaster30

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Exactly what I was wanting to hear. I’m gonna wait on getting one for now and save my money! I’ve been wandering if the MarsAqua would work with it.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RKL and use mine mainly for backup temperature control and some basic on/off timer functionality (chaeto light). I personally dislike consolidating so much of my reef's function into one device. If I ever upgraded to a larger system, I would consider some more advanced monitoring. I wouldn't go with an off-the-shelf solution though. I'd DIY something with a Raspberry Pi, some bash scripts and a few pH/conductivity/float sensors designed for the maker community.

In my experience, proper system design and redundancy is a much better investment than an email telling you something is broken. But, that's just my $0.02.

esolo16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your Apex is only emailing you when something is broken and not also doing something to compensate for the issue, then you are not utilizing your Apex correctly. Controllers are meant to enhance your system design and add redundancies, not limit them.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked myself the same question. I'd never had one, wasn't sure of the need... I was looking to buy a heater controller and a couple light timers for my cube about 3 years ago, and the RKL was about the same price, so I went that way. Over the next few months, I used it more and more... added a 2nd PB4 to the system, and maxed that out.

Blue light, white light, ref light, heater, wave pump 1, wave pump 2, skimmer, ATO reservoir solenoid.

There's reason for each to be on a controller. Acts as a timer for the 3 lights and the 2 (Rossmont Mover) wavemakers. Heater controller that doesn't rely on the internal thermostat on the heater, prevent the skimmer from coming back on and flooding after a power failure, timed refill on my ATO reservoir...

So, after a few years of use, I'll never be without a controller again. I started having trouble with the RLK... randomly loosing connection between modules. Couldn't get any support from DA, so I yanked it, and replaced it with an Apex classic 2 weeks back. Now, I'm adding a breakout box, so that I can gain better control over my ATO reservoir refill, and I'll likely add a toggle at some point, to turn off the wave pumps while I'm feeding.

Justify the cost? It's a hobby. There is no cost justification for it, excepting the enjoyment you get from participating in the hobby. I sincerely wish these controllers weren't so darned pricey.... when very powerful embedded systems like the Raspberry Pi and the Arduino are available at such low cost, I think the price is way higher than it should be. But. Worth it? You bet.

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you really need one? No, probably not.

Personally, I travel a lot for work and mine gives me peace of mind. Access to Apex Fusion from anywhere is something I cannot live without. I can open my phone and immediately know if something major is off based on pH/Temp/float switches. I have installed float switches everywhere for this very purpose.
What kinds of things are you watching with the float sensors out of curiosity?

I had an Apex Classic [before it was 'classic'] on my 29G and am thinking about getting the newer Apex for my 88G reef.

esolo16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kinds of things are you watching with the float sensors out of curiosity?

I had an Apex Classic [before it was 'classic'] on my 29G and am thinking about getting the newer Apex for my 88G reef.

At the very least, I will always have one to detect low water level in my ATO reservoir, that way I won't burn out my ATO pump and potentially my return pump. Another one I have is on the container that my skimmer cup drains to and shuts off the skimmer if full. This will prevent an unforeseen skimmer overflow from emptying my tank on the floor. I also have low level sensors in my dosing containers, so I know when those need to be refilled.

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the very least, I will always have one to detect low water level in my ATO reservoir, that way I won't burn out my ATO pump and potentially my return pump.
My return pump has its own float switch that will shut it off if the water level gets too low but I can monitor the AMPs on the port [I think it's by-port] and alert me if that happens without needing another float.

Another one I have is on the container that my skimmer cup drains to and shuts off the skimmer if full.
I was thinking about how I could drain my skimmer to a larger container - but having it overflow was a concern if I forget to check it / go out of town / etc... I didn't think to put a float switch in it - brilliant :).

I am not dosing anything automatically yet but I hope to at some point and will be getting floats for the dosing container for sure!

anbosu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you just want something basic, you can get wifi enabled power strips on Amazon now. That will allow you to turn pumps on and off easily.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far my Apex has been amazing. It's so easy to use, can access it anywhere, and I love being able to log all of my parameters that I test for in one place. But, it wouldn't be worth it on a simpler set up. I have a lot of lights to control, a calcium reactor, multiple heaters, multiple pumps and my skimmer that I can place on feed mode very simply. And the fact that now you can update the system via wifi is amazing.

APEX Jr. is perfect for simple systems. Has most critical functions like a thermometer and LAN connection to Fusion, plus 4 relay controlled sockets for heater/lights/whatever. Can be upgraded as needs grow. For 240$ it can do a lot to prevent the Big One (a crash). That’s the primary purpose.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I ran for like 35 years with out one, now that I have used one I will not run with out one. Love my Apex. They can help you with so much and make things easier. I travel for work some times this lets me see whats going on in the tank with out having to be there. Can you run with out one yes, but it can also save your tank, so you have to think are the animals in your tank worth it to you.

Chris Villalobos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a Reefkeeper Lite just so that I wouldn't have a heater malfunction and also throw a low temperature alarm if my return pump malfunctioned. I was also finally able to get rid of my analog light timers. Definitely worth the money in my opinion.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back