Trying to sort out the issue - advice needed

Llg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been struggling with LPS recession for about 3 months now. I noticed some frogspawn losing heads and some acan retraction. I evaluated nutrients and Phos was higher than I would like so I added Rowaphos. I also proceeded to run a Cipro dosing of the tank.

I didn't save the acans and some corals came back, but again, the frogspawn and hammer started to look either receed or the tentacles were very swollen. The candy cane and lept also started to receed. I did another round of Cipro and also dipped everything in Lugols and CoralRx.

They looked better, but again in the last few weeks, the hammers look swollen, the frogspawn has receded and the Duncan won't extend very well. The candy cane and lepto are fine now.

Other leptos in the tank are fine, the other duncan is fine, the blastos appear good and the soft and sps are fine. I was running a UV as well when not dosing with cipro. Even chaeto has slowly disintegrated while I have still grown algae on rocks.

Tank is 1.5 years old. I feed red sea Ab+ every three days, dose phytoplankton and also use microbacter.

Parameters have been stable.
Salinity 1.026
Mag 1480
cal 430
nitrate 20
phos .1

Any thoughts?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possible lighting or flow issue also. Listing that information as well as providing a video will help get answers.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ This, your parameters are spot on for lps. Remember though outward decline shows weeks after the problem began. Perhaps look back weeks ago and see if you can identify any changes or large swings in parameters.

findingsimple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How stable is your alk and ph? Swings in those have knocked my LPS / euphyllia around quite a bit.

Possibly worth an ICP test to see if you have any issues with trace elements

OP
OP
L

Llg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk has been between 8.7 and 9.3 over the last few months. I do weekly water changes of 10%. PH is unchanged. They do seem to do better after I do an iodine dip. I do a small amount of trace elements once a month just to ensure they don't get too low

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back