Tube nem help

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve recently been looking at tube nems again, and decided to pull the trigger. I only have a nano, a Waterbox 20, so getting a small specimen is the main goal, which I believe I’ve found

I’ve read some articles, and apparently most people have grossly over exaggerated their sting, and it’s actually quite weak, weaker than most nems, even weaker than aiptasia. So I’ve decided I’ll get one. Only real concerns are two clowns and a redline, but I think they’ll be fine unless quite sick

Are they still suitable additions to a soft coral dominated tank? Or does anybody have any final advice for me?

IMG_9656.jpeg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a fairly weak sting, yes - but fish definitely avoid it nonetheless. Yes, they're great additions to a tang and very beneficial. I recommend at least 2" of sand. Note that they will move/re-bury if they're not happy where you place them. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a fairly weak sting, yes - but fish definitely avoid it nonetheless. Yes, they're great additions to a tang and very beneficial. I recommend at least 2" of sand. Note that they will move/re-bury if they're not happy where you place them. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Yeah man I saw a bunch of comments of yours on the forums raving about them, love to see a fellow enthusiasts of them. Imo one of the most beautiful nems. I have a back corner with roughly 1.5 inches that goes under a rock arch I’ll try place it, also away from corals so should be perfect

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah man I saw a bunch of comments of yours on the forums raving about them, love to see a fellow enthusiasts of them. Imo one of the most beautiful nems. I have a back corner with roughly 1.5 inches that goes under a rock arch I’ll try place it, also away from corals so should be perfect
I've got 2 right now that I've had for roughly 3 years. The neon color combinations are really wild! Just waiting for my LFS to get some more in so I can expand the crew!

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 2 right now that I've had for roughly 3 years. The neon color combinations are really wild! Just waiting for my LFS to get some more in so I can expand the crew!
That’s sick man. Yeah I’ve found it hard to beat how neon and fluro they can be, so awesome. Got any pics of yours?

The ones I get at my LFS are typically huge, much too big for a nano 20g cube. This one is a brown, with green stripes on its tentacles, which I admittedly like a lot. I’d love a bright pink one tho!!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s sick man. Yeah I’ve found it hard to beat how neon and fluro they can be, so awesome. Got any pics of yours?

The ones I get at my LFS are typically huge, much too big for a nano 20g cube. This one is a brown, with green stripes on its tentacles, which I admittedly like a lot. I’d love a bright pink one tho!!
Nothing recent (taking some updated images is on my to-do list once I scrape the glass and finish some other outstanding tank maintenance. One of mine has a black center - the other is a neon orange.

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing recent (taking some updated images is on my to-do list once I scrape the glass and finish some other outstanding tank maintenance. One of mine has a black center - the other is a neon orange.
They sound awesome man! Would love to see when you get the chance!

I’ll update the thread with my tube once I get it!

VegasReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tube nems are some of my favorite. I have a little 15 gallon setup for them until they grow out of it.

VegasReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Are they still suitable additions to a soft coral dominated tank?“
Depends on the soft corals, but in general there shouldn’t be an issue. I would definitely run carbon, especially if the tube nem is near a softy. I have mine with zoas and clove polyps with no issues.

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll most likely post any updated images on my build thread.
“Are they still suitable additions to a soft coral dominated tank?“
Depends on the soft corals, but in general there shouldn’t be an issue. I would definitely run carbon, especially if the tube nem is near a softy. I have mine with zoas and clove polyps with no issues.
My new tiny, tiny, tube nem. He’s miniature, but has a nice black and green colour, with a white inside. I love him

Attachments

• IMG_9782.jpeg
    IMG_9782.jpeg
    206.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_9784.jpeg
    IMG_9784.jpeg
    202.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_9783.jpeg
    IMG_9783.jpeg
    196 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_9785.jpeg
    IMG_9785.jpeg
    197.1 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@blaxsun my tube nem opens up hugely at night, but during the day, not so much. It tends to shrivel and hide within its tube, kinda half extended. At night time, it’s giantly sized, open huge. Is this normal? I run lower flow at night if that makes a difference, or is it just light shy at the moment? It hasn’t eaten anything yet, but at night it seems to have full extension, nice shape to it’s tentacles, and it’s inner tentacles? seen nice and happy.

Is there any things I should look out for in terms of its health? And it’s inner tentacles, are they always fully extended past the “opening,” mine tend to sit more inside the tube

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@blaxsun my tube nem opens up hugely at night, but during the day, not so much. It tends to shrivel and hide within its tube, kinda half extended. At night time, it’s giantly sized, open huge. Is this normal? I run lower flow at night if that makes a difference, or is it just light shy at the moment? It hasn’t eaten anything yet, but at night it seems to have full extension, nice shape to it’s tentacles, and it’s inner tentacles? seen nice and happy.

Is there any things I should look out for in terms of its health? And it’s inner tentacles, are they always fully extended past the “opening,” mine tend to sit more inside the tube
That can be fairly normal, yes. At any given time during the day one or both tube anemones will periodically close up whenever a fish or invert persists on being nearby. During the night they're almost always open.

Mine are both in a fairly secluded spot so they don't get a lot of direct flow.

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That can be fairly normal, yes. At any given time during the day one or both tube anemones will periodically close up whenever a fish or invert persists on being nearby. During the night they're almost always open.

Mine are both in a fairly secluded spot so they don't get a lot of direct flow.
I may try move mine into lower flow when I do maintenace next, good idea. Thanks man

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 52 40.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 37 28.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back