Tullio Dell Aquila: The Facts of Light | MACNA 2017

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome presentation! So basically we should be looking at the fixtures or light that produces the correct or best spectrum for coral life then comparing the PAR.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mr. Aquila is very serious about light, isn't he?
He is actually a professional that works with LEDs for a long time!

His comparison of artificial light for aquariums and the sun is the goal we all should look for.

I love to hear him talking about metal halides. That guy is just in love with halides, man!!!
"...here is the big one, here is the big one!!..." :D
I think he has been watching us here discussing in the forum?!?!! ;Wideyed

The video just confirmed lot's of thoughts I had about LEDs and I couldn't explain in any way.
The optics and loss of lumens' efficiency of the LEDs... absolutely not like the halides. Period.
And halides have gotten better and better... The Ushio guys confirmed that too. That is so great!! Good news!
He didn't want to say one is better than the other, but he actually showed that! @26:56

Remember: he is not favoring MHs, he just set the facts (specially the production of UV)!!! So nice he is. :D

He also confirmed to us about the cooling of the ATI T5 fixture as the best way of efficiency for he bulbs increasing lamp life...

It is what it is, my friends.
Metal halides are probably the reef lights of the past, present AND future.
Efficiency... efficiency...
Thanks Mr. Aquila and BRS!!

Grandis.

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mr. Aquila is very serious about light, isn't he?
He is actually a professional that works with LEDs for a long time!

His comparison of artificial light for aquariums and the sun is the goal we all should look for.

I love to hear him talking about metal halides. That guy is just in love with halides, man!!!
"...here is the big one, here is the big one!!..." :D
I think he has been watching us here discussing in the forum?!?!! ;Wideyed

The video just confirmed lot's of thoughts I had about LEDs and I couldn't explain in any way.
The optics and loss of lumens' efficiency of the LEDs... absolutely not like the halides. Period.
And halides have gotten better and better... The Ushio guys confirmed that too. That is so great!! Good news!
He didn't want to say one is better than the other, but he actually showed that! @26:56

Remember: he is not favoring MHs, he just set the facts (specially the production of UV)!!! So nice he is. :D

He also confirmed to us about the cooling of the ATI T5 fixture as the best way of efficiency for he bulbs increasing lamp life...

It is what it is, my friends.
Metal halides are probably the reef lights of the past, present AND future.
Efficiency... efficiency...
Thanks Mr. Aquila and BRS!!

Grandis.
I'm glad there's still someone out there like Tullio that takes a scientific approach to explaining reef lighting. Years back when I was less busy I wrote about 15 pages specifically breaking down the advantages, disadvantages, and scientific principles at work in the delivery of light to reef animals by the 3 primary light technologies we currently use. My business has grown so busy that sadly I have not had time to finish what was supposed to be a 30 pg guidebook or so. Maybe one day when I find more time I will pick it up and finish it out. Still have to complete the few pages on Lambertian emittance which is my absolute favorite factor in light delivery to corals. I run only T5 on my current systems, but in terms of emulation of sunlight, both in it's color blending and point source delivery, metal halide reigns king and likely always will. Unless a true 'full spectrum' mega diode led is ever developed I don't think there's any chance of halide being dethroned.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad there's still someone out there like Tullio that takes a scientific approach to explaining reef lighting. Years back when I was less busy I wrote about 15 pages specifically breaking down the advantages, disadvantages, and scientific principles at work in the delivery of light to reef animals by the 3 primary light technologies we currently use. My business has grown so busy that sadly I have not had time to finish what was supposed to be a 30 pg guidebook or so. Maybe one day when I find more time I will pick it up and finish it out. Still have to complete the few pages on Lambertian emittance which is my absolute favorite factor in light delivery to corals. I run only T5 on my current systems, but in terms of emulation of sunlight, both in it's color blending and point source delivery, metal halide reigns king and likely always will. Unless a true 'full spectrum' mega diode led is ever developed I don't think there's any chance of halide being dethroned.
I'm waiting for your booklet to be published, Sr!
Metal halides are the king of the artificial reef lights!
I hope the aquarium trade will realize what's in this video and start to work on new halide ballasts and fixtures, as well as bulbs, to improve their lines, so we can have access to it in a more realistic and affordable way from now on.
This is what I call technology to be observed. Serious lights for serious reefers.
I think the reef light revolution just started after this talk. I'm glad we have the video available here. Thats again to BRS.

Please finish your research and be part of this movement.
Aloha,
Grandis.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with MH is, was, has and always will be heat loss AKA energy you're just wasting. It's literally the equivalent of walking outside, opening up your wallet and throwing money on the ground. If there was a way to solve this or if it wasn't a reality T5 and LEDs wouldn't even exist in this hobby. Unfortunately for people like grandis there they do. The sad part is I don't think anybody has ever argued with him that MH are a great light source. The sad part is he refuses to see that there could possibly be any benefits to LEDs what-so-ever because he is so far down the rabbit hole as a "MH Extremist" that he refutes any relevant data however possible.

Presentations like this one are great though as it would explain to some people why "130W" ficture from say Orbit Marine is not the same as a "130W" fixture from like AI. Watts mean nothing and honestly the best info BRS gives us in it's review series is and always has been the spectral graphs combined with PAR numbers. Those give us as close to complete data as we can get on our hobbyist fixtures as we can possibly hope for.

iemsparticus

The Addiction is Real
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with MH is, was, has and always will be heat loss AKA energy you're just wasting. It's literally the equivalent of walking outside, opening up your wallet and throwing money on the ground. If there was a way to solve this or if it wasn't a reality T5 and LEDs wouldn't even exist in this hobby. Unfortunately for people like grandis there they do. The sad part is I don't think anybody has ever argued with him that MH are a great light source. The sad part is he refuses to see that there could possibly be any benefits to LEDs what-so-ever because he is so far down the rabbit hole as a "MH Extremist" that he refutes any relevant data however possible.

Presentations like this one are great though as it would explain to some people why "130W" ficture from say Orbit Marine is not the same as a "130W" fixture from like AI. Watts mean nothing and honestly the best info BRS gives us in it's review series is and always has been the spectral graphs combined with PAR numbers. Those give us as close to complete data as we can get on our hobbyist fixtures as we can possibly hope for.
Totally agree. I would much rather throw my expendable income at corals than the ground. :) Not to mention the fact that, as I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex, using MH would cause me to have to spend a fortune on AC and/or fans and chillers to keep my tank from boiling. :p

My take aways from this video we’re twofold:

1. BRS is putting out stellar information regarding the performance of different reef light options... they nail which information is most useful in determining reef lights quality and effectiveness.

2. Man I really want to keep studying the technicalities of reef lighting... this was fascinating.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm going to write my thoughts here just for the sake of future searching...

I just think that we should offer to reef tanks the best artificial light available to supply the natural needs of the organisms we keep. I also think, and aways said, that the model for out reefs should be the sun. That is to compare the artificial light source with the natural light source. In my opinion those are MH/T5s for deeper than 22 - 24" tanks, and T5s for shallow tanks. LEDs can be implemented and be part of it, not the primary light source.
If people understand that they will have absolutely no problems in regards to light.

I believe in respecting what they choose to believe and buy, but I do not agree when they state and promote LEDs as better than MHs/T5s for growth and color. That is not an accurate information to pass to the next generation. many LED users tend to place LEDs above the other options.

Another point here is the wasted time in forums trying to figure out LED settings because it isn't working at all and people are "burning" corals all over the country, specially novices. That alone is a waste of money with corals and not humane in my point of view. With MHs and T5s that percentage is greatly minimized! That is only because people use LEDs as a primary source of light. The aquarium hobby is supposed to set an example of education and promote sustainability. MHs and T5s are proven the best in that sense.

In my perspective, if one chooses LEDs only for ANY reason, that person should know that there are OTHER better options out there to keep their cnidarians in better shape.
90% of the systems with LED shows that difference and should be considered as a week point in having such lights as primary light source. Instead, we have this weird attitude of many who claims that they have the best deal and electricity savings, and all that... Searching this forum and talking to serious aquarists will show what's the truth.

There are also so many LED "believers" that never used another light source and try to compare them or simply state whatever they want. I've tried all 3 types of lights and speak for myself. I also have many friends and have asked many important people, and called some of the companies in the trade to discuss their thoughts, just to hear that they actually agree with me.
The only companies that would be on top of the wall are the ones that prefers to sell only LEDs, for obvious reasons.

If they have the right to say that LEDs are better than MH/T5s, I do have the right to be opponent to that, right?

What about the many people all over the world that went back to their MH/T5s? We should take that in consideration too.
Specially when serious aquarium stores and corals farmers do that.

My actions aren't against the technology of LEDs per say, but against those who claim that LEDs are actually BETTER than MHs or the T5s, when I think it's totally the opposite. We all know about the famous PDF comparing T5s far away from the water surface with their LEDs at the same height. T5s aren't design to be used more than 11" from the water source, so that isn't a fair comparison, right? Selling and using such excuse don't sound good at all to me.
I'm trying to show people that the other options are out there and I try to tell them not to suffocate those options, please.
I'm tired to be fired because of my recommendations. That isn't fair!!

If you look threads all over this forum you will actually see people trying to prove me wrong in that sense and that isn't the way to go. The many people who went back to their T5s and MHs are normally ignored by those LED extremists.
MH/T5 users are normally banned out of conversations or vetoed of any expression, in the name of LED technology.
Many of the users actually recommend LEDs as a primary source of light to beginners that are looking for a simple and efficient way to lit a tank. Many other go to the point of NOT recommending T5s for a new tank?!? I recommend T5s! Is that anything wrong with that? Who is the extremist here?o_O
Take a look:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/pls-recommend-a-light-for-reef-and-fish.330989/

I aways said that I'm not against LEDs, and I'm not. I'm just against it's use as a primary light source for reefs and the fact that some try to wrongly compare their LEDs with halides or T5s in regards to growth and colors.

I'm also against those who gives priority to friendship and partnership in the name of technology or money in the trade and out of the trade, and really don't even believe in the concept that they are preaching because in the end of their hearts they know that MHs and T5s are the best. If you tai to them out the "stage" you will know, my friend!
I call those people to give up already and proclaim the facts.
Proclaim the truth, and that is ok. This isn't a war! We are all in the same boat. Just a hobby!
To me that should have an end now.
Expression of thoughts and opinions shouldn't be banned in any way, but facts are facts.
And I'm not alone here. There are many others that think like me, but they don't think it's worthy to fight or they don't want to get fired. I think it is worthy.

The vision I have is to put MHs and T5s back in their places!
The time spent to improve technology, marketing and research should be applied to all artificial light sources in equal forms and shapes, not confined to the LEDs, like it is at this date!

All 3 types of lights aren't going to change their nature. They are what they are.
Primary source of lights IMO should be MH/s and T5s with proven results.
LEDs are in their trials, but they can be applied on the side.
Again, please note that LEDs do have room in the hobby and that room is as supplemental lights IMO for obvious reasons.

If the LED manufactures understand the place LEDs should have in the trade, they would make much better LED fixtures allowing that technology to be just a supplemental/optional light. That is the way to go!!! But if they keep fighting and thinking that we should have as a primary light source, we all loose. Waste of time.

There is also a strong movement against MHs and T5s that needs to be stopped now.
The hype is all over, and companies want too take advantage of the money circulating.
Many of the people who call me an extremist are actually LED lovers and MH/T5 haters, therefore they are LED extremists.
To change MHs/T5s for LEDs and say that they are getting much better results is silly. Specially over deeper tanks.
The only excuse is the heat transfer and that is the main choice for the exchange. But results aren't the same in the long run. I'm sorry...
They are actually sacrificing the health of the organisms to a point, in order to justify the chiller not running or something like that.

I do understand the choices we make are different, and to be respected. I expect to be respected the same way in what I choose to use and recommend. That's what free of speech is all about, right?
I prefer to be called a MH/T5 lover than a LED hater, please. ;)

This is a great forum and I hope we all understand my thoughts as they are.
No labels cause that's not gonna change any of us.

Cheers,
Grandis.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tullio rocks! What a good human being and very knowledgeable when it comes to lighting!

SciGuy2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 29:35 Tullio says a lot about current LED lighting systems. I'm sticking with my halide, VHO actinic 03's for a while more.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back