Tumbling Carbon Tumbling vs. Not?

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm curious what other's opinion are on this matter. I know BRS' opinion on this, but I personally have had bad experiences with not tumbling carbon in a reactor. What happens every time I tried using carbon and not tumbling, the flow through the reactor would weaken to the point of around 10% of the starting flow in 2 weeks typically. Then, when I would open the reactor up to replace the carbon, the previous 2 week or so old carbon would smell like straight sulfur. Does anyone else still tumble carbon and if so, does it work for you?

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tumbling carbon grinds it into dust and that is linked to fish health issues such as HLLE. Carbon is likely overrated and over used in the hobby in all reality. It doesn't last long in our tanks. Ozone and calcium carbonate dosing provide better results IMO

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont run it longer than a week or two, but if I turn off the reactor and let it sit for a day or two with the carbon and water in it, it will have that smell. Do you let it sit off for an amount of time?

And no tumbling reason covered by rtparty

OP
OP
A

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I dont run it longer than a week or two, but if I turn off the reactor and let it sit for a day or two with the carbon and water in it, it will have that smell. Do you let it sit off for an amount of time?

And no tumbling reason covered by rtparty
Nope I don't let it sit without water going through it. Soon as I take the pump offline the reactor comes out.

OP
OP
A

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Would purigen be a better substitute for Carbon? Can it tumble?

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should never ever tumble carbon. Carbon fines have been proven to cause head and lateral line erosion to say the least.
If you're running into clogging issues I would suggest using less and changing it more often (best solution), or increase the flow from whatever you're feeding the reactor from while considering some additional form of prefiltering.

Back