Tumbling GFO

CJWilliams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I just started using a GFO reactor and have it tumbling nicely. Dropped my phosphate down from 0.13 to 0.03 in just a few days. I know running it down to zero phosphate can cause other issues potentially.

So the question is, if I run the reactor intermittently, do I have to worry about the GFO solidifying? Or is that something that only happens after weeks of not tumbling?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I just started using a GFO reactor and have it tumbling nicely. Dropped my phosphate down from 0.13 to 0.03 in just a few days. I know running it down to zero phosphate can cause other issues potentially.

So the question is, if I run the reactor intermittently, do I have to worry about the GFO solidifying? Or is that something that only happens after weeks of not tumbling?
GFO shouldn’t tumble because it can break into very fine particles that will escape the reactor. No big deal but most aquarist would rather not have have rust in the display tank.

Shutting off any reactor is not a good idea because bacteria growth can deplete the oxygen and allow anaerobic bacteria to grow, potentially generating hydrogen sulfide. Rather than shut off the reactor, reduce the flow or remove it from the system.

OP
OP
C

CJWilliams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the impression that GFO needed a slight tumble to prevent solidifying. I believe a BRS video said that. I flushed through it with RODI so I’m getting clear returns. Here’s mine in action.

Attachments

• IMG_7502.mov
    12.4 MB

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the impression that GFO needed a slight tumble to prevent solidifying. I believe a BRS video said that. I flushed through it with RODI so I’m getting clear returns. Here’s mine in action.
Sounds good.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never been able to get a straight answer on to-tumble or not-to-tumble. =)

Logically it makes sense as more of the GFO is exposed to the water flow, but then that just means there is less physical space for those with smaller reactors to partially fill to allow the space for it to tumble. I've never had a PO4 problem that I couldn't handle with a passive GFO bag in the tank. However I'm starting to see PO4 up in the 0.2 - 0.3s these days and notice issues. I'm following the recommendation that I could use less to not over strip the water using a reactor. I've read on R2R several other reefers on 180g+ using a BRS mini (~3/4 cup mostly packed) reactors just fine, however all tanks vary. My GFO seems to exhaust in about 5-7 days thus requiring a weekly change. I have plenty of GFO, but now exploring if I should be tumbling to extend the use and prolong refill time if tumble works better.

I may have one of those tanks that actually needs the full 2-3 cup recommendation moving over to a full size BRS reactor. Anyone find tumbling better on larger overstocked tanks?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never been able to get a straight answer on to-tumble or not-to-tumble. =)

Logically it makes sense as more of the GFO is exposed to the water flow, but then that just means there is less physical space for those with smaller reactors to partially fill to allow the space for it to tumble. I've never had a PO4 problem that I couldn't handle with a passive GFO bag in the tank. However I'm starting to see PO4 up in the 0.2 - 0.3s these days and notice issues. I'm following the recommendation that I could use less to not over strip the water using a reactor. I've read on R2R several other reefers on 180g+ using a BRS mini (~3/4 cup mostly packed) reactors just fine, however all tanks vary. My GFO seems to exhaust in about 5-7 days thus requiring a weekly change. I have plenty of GFO, but now exploring if I should be tumbling to extend the use and prolong refill time if tumble works better.

I may have one of those tanks that actually needs the full 2-3 cup recommendation moving over to a full size BRS reactor. Anyone find tumbling better on larger overstocked tanks?
GFO is a fragile solid and when it knocks around with other particles, it will break apart to a fine dust which can escape its bag or reactor.

Bags do not work as well as reactors because the water is not forced through the GFO bed. As the GFO bed settles in a media bag, water can flow around it. What seems like exhausted GFO might be packed GFO. In a reactor water must flow through the bed of GFO because there is no bypass. The other benefit of a reactor is that you can measure the phosphate in the water leaving the reactor and determine when the GFO is exhausted.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back