Tunze 3155 ATO Overfilling

BringingThatDottyback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a used Tunze ATO system that has been running fine for last 2 months no issues. Yesterday it overfilled to the point that the emergency float switch was activated. I turned it on and off and it seemed normal so I treated it as a one off and left it plugged in. Today while in kitchen making lunch I heard the pump activate 3 times in the span of maybe 10-15 minutes. But when I checked water line seemed maybe a hair or two over normal water line.

Just checked after dinner and it is probably 3/4 of an inch above the normal water level in sump. Googling it seems like people have these issues when the optical sensor is dirty but I checked and there doesn't seem to be anything on it. Does anybody have any other possible solutions or should I just acccept that a 20 dollar ATO system was to good to be true and buy a new Tunze?

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you got it for $20 somethings sketchy lol, believe the full size 3155 is near $200. Which it is worth it! Get the full size one if you can find it in stock :)

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a used Tunze ATO system that has been running fine for last 2 months no issues. Yesterday it overfilled to the point that the emergency float switch was activated. I turned it on and off and it seemed normal so I treated it as a one off and left it plugged in. Today while in kitchen making lunch I heard the pump activate 3 times in the span of maybe 10-15 minutes. But when I checked water line seemed maybe a hair or two over normal water line.

Just checked after dinner and it is probably 3/4 of an inch above the normal water level in sump. Googling it seems like people have these issues when the optical sensor is dirty but I checked and there doesn't seem to be anything on it. Does anybody have any other possible solutions or should I just acccept that a 20 dollar ATO system was to good to be true and buy a new Tunze?
Soak in vinegar to clean for a few hours. Try to place it in a micro bubble free zone. After cleaning, it might act up for several days until it re establishes bacterial slime coat.

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soak in vinegar to clean for a few hours. Try to place it in a micro bubble free zone. After cleaning, it might act up for several days until it re establishes bacterial slime coat.

This. The optical sensor occasionally needs cleaning. I had a similar issue on mine and once I cleaned it it's been working solid as a rock.

OP
OP
B

BringingThatDottyback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you got it for $20 somethings sketchy lol, believe the full size 3155 is near $200. Which it is worth it! Get the full size one if you can find it in stock :)
Haha I found it at a garage sale, I think the woman was selling a relatives aquarium stuff because it was mixed in a bag with a bunch of random old pumps and wires. I thought it was a steal at the time because all I needed to do to make it work was buy a new pump.

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I found it at a garage sale, I think the woman was selling a relatives aquarium stuff because it was mixed in a bag with a bunch of random old pumps and wires. I thought it was a steal at the time because all I needed to do to make it work was buy a new pump.
Ahh thats a great find lol

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back