Tunze 3155 Failing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Tonii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning,

I have a Tunze 3155 that has started to fail. During the past week I found the return chamber in the sump almost dry. On the Tunze controller the low level light was blinking but the pump didn’t turn on. But if I unplug the power when it turns back on, the water starts to fill up but it doesn’t stop until it reaches the backup float sensor. Then the high level light starts blinking. Is there anything I can do to fix that issue.

thanks in advance.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning,

I have a Tunze 3155 that has started to fail. During the past week I found the return chamber in the sump almost dry. On the Tunze controller the low level light was blinking but the pump didn’t turn on. But if I unplug the power when it turns back on, the water starts to fill up but it doesn’t stop until it reaches the backup float sensor. Then the high level light starts blinking. Is there anything I can do to fix that issue.

thanks in advance.
Had similar problem, shut off too high.
Was ready to order a new one then found some tunze info.
Sensor cleaning:
1. Turn off ato, you'll be doing topoffs manually for a few days.
2. Soak prism sensor in vinegar to remove scale and clean, do not scratch.
3. Put back in water for a few days in bubble free area, at desired level
4. Do not touch it, let it biofilm over to reduce air bubble stickiness
5. Turn on ato, test

You can verify the sensor is reading/connected by removing from water, drying and power cycling. You'll get a special diagnostic green light a few seconds after powerup. Google tunze 3155 sensor fail for more details.

OP
OP
Tonii

Tonii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had similar problem, shut off too high.
Was ready to order a new one then found some tunze info.
Sensor cleaning:
1. Turn off ato, you'll be doing topoffs manually for a few days.
2. Soak prism sensor in vinegar to remove scale and clean, do not scratch.
3. Put back in water for a few days in bubble free area, at desired level
4. Do not touch it, let it biofilm over to reduce air bubble stickiness
5. Turn on ato, test

You can verify the sensor is reading/connected by removing from water, drying and power cycling. You'll get a special diagnostic green light a few seconds after powerup. Google tunze 3155 sensor fail for more details.
Ok thank you. I’ll give that a try.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The low level light is red and is controlled by a timer, this will mean the pump ran 10 continuous minutes and a fill was not registered, the high light is also red and means the float is raised. This is likely an optic sensor issue, but it can be a dirty sensor, failed sensor, bubbles accumulating on the sensor or a source of infrared light like a growlight is causing interference (normal aquarium lights do not emit much infrared, but refugium grow lights do, especially the better quality ones).

OP
OP
Tonii

Tonii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The low level light is red and is controlled by a timer, this will mean the pump ran 10 continuous minutes and a fill was not registered, the high light is also red and means the float is raised. This is likely an optic sensor issue, but it can be a dirty sensor, failed sensor, bubbles accumulating on the sensor or a source of infrared light like a growlight is causing interference (normal aquarium lights do not emit much infrared, but refugium grow lights do, especially the better quality ones).
Im currently doing a vinegar bath if that doesn’t work I guess Ill have to contact Tunze to see if the optic sensor can be replaced.

OP
OP
Tonii

Tonii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am Tunze, just let me know.
So I did the vinegar bath and it continued to fail. There are no lights inside the sump area. Also there are no bubbles in that chamber. What would be the next step?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did the vinegar bath and it continued to fail. There are no lights inside the sump area. Also there are no bubbles in that chamber. What would be the next step?
Pull the sensor, dry it off and cycle power. Record the LEDs sequence for rvitko analysis/recommendations.
Sorry for your trouble.
I have 3 tunze atos, great products.
Rvitko: is the prism light modulated to eliminate ambient light interference?

OP
OP
Tonii

Tonii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pull the sensor, dry it off and cycle power. Record the LEDs sequence for rvitko analysis/recommendations.
Sorry for your trouble.
I have 3 tunze atos, great products.
Rvitko: is the prism light modulated to eliminate ambient light interference?

Attachments

• IMG_1940.MOV
    33.1 MB

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All i get from the video is audio, I get no video content. The sensor is only affected by infrared, that is the spectrum it uses, so most aquarium lights will not be an issue. MH in close proximity and over 400W can emit enough infrared to be an issue and refugium "grow lights" assuming they are a higher quality model, will emit infrared and cause issues.

I would send it in, if it is less than 2 years old it would be warranty, more than 2 years old, as long as it is less than 9 (significant design changes) it can likely be repaired fairly inexpensively.

OP
OP
Tonii

Tonii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All i get from the video is audio, I get no video content. The sensor is only affected by infrared, that is the spectrum it uses, so most aquarium lights will not be an issue. MH in close proximity and over 400W can emit enough infrared to be an issue and refugium "grow lights" assuming they are a higher quality model, will emit infrared and cause issues.

I would send it in, if it is less than 2 years old it would be warranty, more than 2 years old, as long as it is less than 9 (significant design changes) it can likely be repaired fairly inexpensively.
Ok thank you. Just sent an email to Tunze. Here are some screenshots of the video.

29EE4D1D-39BD-403A-930F-9D1CA535708F.png 13E00CB4-ADE4-4FD9-921D-B9BB8C397226.png 0D76866E-290B-49DC-B1D1-24E18429571F.png B9EC965D-CFAB-497B-A11E-BA9F24E14432.png ECB5281A-11B7-4F95-A6B2-0A49F4511782.png 8BF8131D-4544-4AEB-8E2E-30041CF9A722.png

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will reply to your email, maybe you can email the video and a general overview of the installation (sensor and reservoir placement as well as hose)?

raymenheng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any update on the problem?

I have the same problem, the green light on but not filling. I took it out of the tank, dried it, let it sit, and turn it on again, still nothing.

I do have a refugium light nearby. Does the damage caused by infrared light beyond repair and has to be replaced?

OP
OP
Tonii

Tonii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any update on the problem?

I have the same problem, the green light on but not filling. I took it out of the tank, dried it, let it sit, and turn it on again, still nothing.

I do have a refugium light nearby. Does the damage caused by infrared light beyond repair and has to be replaced?
I had to send it in for repair. The optic sensor was replaced. No issues after the replacement.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The grow light does not cause damage, but the infrared light prevents the sensor from working, if this is the cause it will work when the light is turned off and you then need to relocate the sensor and or light so the sensor is not affected by the light.

Try soaking the sensor in a mild acid like vinegar, a roughly 1 hour soak will remove any mineral deposits that can also blind the sensor.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back