Tunze 3155 - suddenly stops pumping

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I've set my tunze up in a remote fashion. In my sump I have the 3155 sensors/magnet. I ran the wire to the water station a bit aways away. In the water container I placed a neptune PMUP as it can pump further and taller. In the sump room I have a 1/4" rodi line that siphon breaks about 3ft up into a 1/2" tube which goes into the sump. This setup has been working flawlessly.

This morning I noticed the sump water level was low and below the optical sensor of the tunze. I wipe the sensor to make sure it's clean, it is, and it was dry. I turn the tunze off then on again. Pump light comes on and then water is coming out the rodi line just fine.... But then it stops. The tunze says the water level is even when it's still far down. I reset it again, same thing.

Not sure what else to do, thoughts?

leodabsiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a couple times my tunze pump has struggled to push it whether that be from air lock or salt creep into the tube. I noticed it after the pump went dry. Once i siphoned the RO water with my mouth to help the flow and another time i ran warm water through the tubing and re-assembled. Hope that helps

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, got a reference for this? I didn't know that was a thing.

It would have to be serviced, I tagged the US Tunze rep, I had to have this done on an optical sensor once.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've set my tunze up in a remote fashion. In my sump I have the 3155 sensors/magnet. I ran the wire to the water station a bit aways away. In the water container I placed a neptune PMUP as it can pump further and taller. In the sump room I have a 1/4" rodi line that siphon breaks about 3ft up into a 1/2" tube which goes into the sump. This setup has been working flawlessly.

This morning I noticed the sump water level was low and below the optical sensor of the tunze. I wipe the sensor to make sure it's clean, it is, and it was dry. I turn the tunze off then on again. Pump light comes on and then water is coming out the rodi line just fine.... But then it stops. The tunze says the water level is even when it's still far down. I reset it again, same thing.

Not sure what else to do, thoughts?

An option for now is to have the tunze turn on and off a few times during the day to keep the sump full with the 15 second fill on startup.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
a couple times my tunze pump has struggled to push it whether that be from air lock or salt creep into the tube. I noticed it after the pump went dry. Once i siphoned the RO water with my mouth to help the flow and another time i ran warm water through the tubing and re-assembled. Hope that helps
Thanks but I confirmed the pump is working (it's also not the tunze pump). The issue is the tunze stops sensing the need to pump.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It would have to be serviced, I tagged the US Tunze rep, I had to have this done on an optical sensor once.
Ok thanks, sounds fun. I also read that infrared light can cause the sensor to be blind. I have a light shield on my light and in the sump but some light does spill over into the return area where the sensor is located. If I see it happening again I might block the light more to see if that helps.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 187 71.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back