Tunze 5017 always topping up to much

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

HarleyP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im sure this is common or just a simple error and theres info out there but for some reason I just cant find the answers! I just installed my 5017 tonight definitely sweet! Only thing is it does its thing turns on tops up to level shuts off then a few min later the lights flash and it starts to fill again untill the float goes up and the to high alarm goes off it has done it like 4 times! Please help!!

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried cleaning the optic sensor? Wipe it with a microfiber towel.

OP
OP
HarleyP

HarleyP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill try that in the morning or after work, its new tho so shouldn't be dirty!!

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill try that in the morning or after work, its new tho so shouldn't be dirty!!

Def give it a try, if it doesn't help the optic sensor is most likely faulty. Being new it should be a warranty fix.

OP
OP
HarleyP

HarleyP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope not! Hopefully its just nothing I kinda feel like he sold me a bunk one he was like its the best it will work so good and if not ill give you their number I thought of getting different but wanted best! [emoji14]

PANONHAS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is the the actual ATO reservoir higher than than the sump? If it is or the actual water level is higher than the level on the sump it's probably back flowing, might need a solenoid to actually shut the water off. Or keep the water level lower. Hope that helps.

Sagecritter4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also look to see if you are collecting tiny air bubbles on the optical sensor I was having the same problem with my new tunzi and when talked to support (convinced myself had defective optical sensor) they said until the sensor gets a biofilm built up on it they are small bubble magnet and can't tell the difference between Bubbles (air) and actually low water level and turns on.....after followed his advice it fixed my situation ;-)

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance a siphon could be occurring? Most likely a dirty or faulty sensor, though.

ejalimagno

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried dialing the pump down? I believe the tunze has a 30sec minimum fill time. If your pump's flow is too strong and your tank is small it could be that it is pumping more before it reach the 30s min.

OP
OP
HarleyP

HarleyP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6d14845fc479d03cb4ff6b55bce913fe.jpg

****** pic I know but its in my return section, I've got an all in one tank so def not at top of sump and no siphon. Like I said it turns on does its pre fill thing like a cup of water stops and then it will turn on and fill to the actual fill sensor and shut off then after 5 or 10 min it turns back on and fills till the float pops so at least the float is working good!

OP
OP
HarleyP

HarleyP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried dialing the pump down? I believe the tunze has a 30sec minimum fill time. If your pump's flow is too strong and your tank is small it could be that it is pumping more before it reach the 30s min.
I had dialed it down but went to much so turned it back up a bit, could dial it down some more. And hopefully the fillement forms fast cuz maybe it is just bubbles lol

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also look to see if you are collecting tiny air bubbles on the optical sensor I was having the same problem with my new tunzi and when talked to support (convinced myself had defective optical sensor) they said until the sensor gets a biofilm built up on it they are small bubble magnet and can't tell the difference between Bubbles (air) and actually low water level and turns on.....after followed his advice it fixed my situation ;-)

This is the correct answer, the optic sensor when new, due to being extremely smooth and coated with a film of releasing agent from molding is a bubble magnet. The optic sensor only detects air vs water, an accumulation of micro bubbles will cause a fill. A quick fix is a hot soapy water rinse and reposition away from sources of bubbles, a common source of bubbles is the top off hose, this should not be near the optic sensor and does not need to be. The best fix and if the above does not solve it, unplug it leave the sensor in position in water for a few days, a bacterial film will solve the problem if the bubbles are not extreme, if the bubbles are extreme, the source will have to be dealt with. To prove it is bubbles, if you catch it in the act, wipe your finger under the sensor, if the fill stops in 5 seconds, the cause was bubbles. Each Osmolator gets three separate quality checks, each component of the controller (sensors and board) is checked, then it is checked on a computer as an assembled unit for sensor read outs and finally the finished unit is cycled by dipping the sensors in a bowl of water, for this reason, real defects are very rare and usually limited to pump or power supply issues which are just purchased items added to the box.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, you said the lights flash, do you mean all 4 lights? This means it is cycling off and on. If it is only the green light flashing that would be the bubbles, the green light flashes for 5 seconds when it detects a low level (bubbles) and is in delay before filling.

OP
OP
HarleyP

HarleyP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the correct answer, the optic sensor when new, due to being extremely smooth and coated with a film of releasing agent from molding is a bubble magnet. The optic sensor only detects air vs water, an accumulation of micro bubbles will cause a fill. A quick fix is a hot soapy water rinse and reposition away from sources of bubbles, a common source of bubbles is the top off hose, this should not be near the optic sensor and does not need to be. The best fix and if the above does not solve it, unplug it leave the sensor in position in water for a few days, a bacterial film will solve the problem if the bubbles are not extreme, if the bubbles are extreme, the source will have to be dealt with. To prove it is bubbles, if you catch it in the act, wipe your finger under the sensor, if the fill stops in 5 seconds, the cause was bubbles. Each Osmolator gets three separate quality checks, each component of the controller (sensors and board) is checked, then it is checked on a computer as an assembled unit for sensor read outs and finally the finished unit is cycled by dipping the sensors in a bowl of water, for this reason, real defects are very rare and usually limited to pump or power supply issues which are just purchased items added to the box.
Thanks I believe it is good now! I let it fill lastnight n unplugged and this am was under lvl so plugged back in and when filled I gave it a wipe just to be sure and seems to be fine! Ill know fer sure after work [emoji4] the float switch def works tho which is good! [emoji12]

OP
OP
HarleyP

HarleyP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, you said the lights flash, do you mean all 4 lights? This means it is cycling off and on. If it is only the green light flashing that would be the bubbles, the green light flashes for 5 seconds when it detects a low level (bubbles) and is in delay before filling.
All lights just doin its startup thing

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is repeating the start up sequence after it is plugged in and the power is not loose, (basically if it does it more than once after you plug it in) the pump or power supply is bad, if the pump draws too much power this will happen or if the power supply is too weak or too strong (below 9V or above 14V) a common cause is accidentally swapping another power supply.

OP
OP
HarleyP

HarleyP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay well we will see what its doing after work cuz it seemed fine before I left for work!

VTek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hijack the post but I also have a question I'd like to ask since you all seem fairly knowledgeable and seems like HarleyP may have found his solution. Does the 3155 have a power up cycle? One thing I have noticed is if my water is at the correct level and I shut the power off (accidentally knocked the power supply), when I turned it back on it pumped more water into the sump until the float switch shut it down. Is this normal? Any way around it?

Sagecritter4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hijack the post but I also have a question I'd like to ask since you all seem fairly knowledgeable and seems like HarleyP may have found his solution. Does the 3155 have a power up cycle? One thing I have noticed is if my water is at the correct level and I shut the power off (accidentally knocked the power supply), when I turned it back on it pumped more water into the sump until the float switch shut it down. Is this normal? Any way around it?
Yep the 3155 will run for little bit any time it powers on/off part of startup cycle whether it's you doing it or power outage Etc.

Sagecritter4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think tunze told me 20 seconds when I talked to them. So depending on your gap between high-level float switch and optic eye could trip alarm yes

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back