Tunze 5017 issue... is this a pump problem?

Cavalina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I've had a Tunze 5017 ATO for about a year and it has worked really nicely -- until this weekend. Simply put, the Tunze pump stopped moving water from my reservoir to my sump. The water is about an inch below the optical sensor at present, and when I unplug the unit, then plug it back in the controller shows yellow lights. This means that the sensors recognizer that water needs to be pumped and that the pumps should be working, right? Well the pump is completely inactive. I checked the wiring, and it all seems to be connected firmly -- as it always has been.

Do I just need a new pump? Thx!

Gordon

xabo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A new pump will set you back about $25-$30. I would get a new one to use and maybe try cleaning the old one by soaking in citric acid solution to see if it's clogged. If so you can keep it for a backup. Have you cleaned the sensor?

You could also try posting/searching the Tunze forum here: https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/tunze.461/

OP
OP
Cavalina

Cavalina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @xabo . Yes I did clean the optical sensor -- no luck. But the orange light would seem to indicate that the controller knows it needs to activate the pump (right?), but it is just unable to do so. So I Just ordered a pump from Amazon. I'll clean the current one as well and hope it works - like you said, maybe it could become a back up.

xabo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks @xabo . Yes I did clean the optical sensor -- no luck. But the orange light would seem to indicate that the controller knows it needs to activate the pump (right?), but it is just unable to do so. So I Just ordered a pump from Amazon. I'll clean the current one as well and hope it works - like you said, maybe it could become a back up.

Failure: Yellow LED „Pump on“ is list and the metering pump is operating, but no water is pumped. After approx. 10 minutes the yellowLED goes off, and the red LED „Too low“ lights up, and the metering pump is switched off.
Cause: No water in tank.

Remedy: Fill in water.

Cause: Air in metering pump, after refilling the
storage tank, for example.

Remedy: Incline or turn the pump below water;
undo feed hose briefly from the pump. Cause: Hose kinked or clogged. Remedy: Check hose.

Failure: Water is filled continuously, although this is not necessary at all.

Cause: Air bubble have formed around the sensor. The sensor thus assumes it is not located in the water.

Remedy: Use detergent to clean the sensor. Cause: Siphon effect of the feed hose due to
wrong installation.

Remedy: The water level of the storage container
must not be higher than the end of the feed hose; please refer to the chapter titled “Attachment of the feed hose”.

Failure: Yellow LED „Pump on“ is lit and the metering pump is operating at reduced power or not at all. No water or very little water is pumped. After approx. 10 minutes the yellow LED goes off and the red LED „Too low“ lights up.

Cause: The metering pump is operating at a reduced speed only. The pump is operating for a few seconds or minutes only. The internal current limiter switches the pump off.
Remedy: Pump may have water in the motor and has to be replaced. The pump needs 1 A current. If the metering pump does not delivery enough output, connect Switched Socket Outlet 3150.11 and a more powerful pump instead of the metering pump (see accessories).
Remedy: The potentiometer in the controller should be set higher, see Controller 5017 - Setting the pumping power.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 38 82.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back