Tunze 6163 issues

  • Thread starter Thread starter M3ntal
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

M3ntal

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 30, 2021
Messages
26
Reaction score
15
Location
Kansas
What state or country do you live in
Kansas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard a “chopping” noise coming from my tank and noticed my 3163 is kind of stuttering sometimes. It’s almost like the impeller is getting hung up and restarting. It makes a noise every time it happens, but it’s very inconsistent. Any ideas? I haven’t changed the density of the packing materials or anything like that. Should i just start with disassembling it and cleaning it first? Any help is appreciated.

I can try to attach a video if that would be helpful.
 

If this doesn’t work I will upload it to YT and drop the link here
 
Think I may have solved my own issue, but I'll update the thread for posterity. My 3155 ATO must have gotten something on the sensor because the water level was down about 1/4" or so in my 40g. I cleaned the sensor, it filled back to the normal point, and the filter hasn't been making noise since. Easy fix!
 
Great news! If the pump strains it will sputter, this can be from dense filter packing, low water level, jammed drive unit or worn out drive unit.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 19.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 32.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new