Tunze 9001 Skimmer question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

jesspal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tubing for the silencer/airscrew seems short. In a lot of videos it looks like people are able to lengthen it enough that it hangs over the back of their bank. How can I open the larger plastic tube and adjust the airline so it is longer?

Mhart032

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at mine for my 20gal right now, you can replace the tube with longer tubing. it plugs into the skimmer down through the bubble chamber into the pump. is that what your referring to?

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't even use the air adjustment. They work better wide open. The water moves through the body faster when you reduce the air which can lead to more bubbles being discharged from the bottom of the skimmer.

OP
OP
jesspal

jesspal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't even use the air adjustment. They work better wide open. The water moves through the body faster when you reduce the air which can lead to more bubbles being discharged from the bottom of the skimmer.
Maybe it’s the silencer I’m referring to, it’s only like 4” which leaves it floating in the water.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I see, I would just buy some silicone tubing to lengthen it a bit then. Only use what you need though as too long will reduce air intake.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tubing inside diameter is the same as any standard airline, so you can just swap the airline, the longer you make it though the more you will restrict the air flow, I generally would try to keep it as short as practical. We use a thicker walled heavy duty silicon tubing, we sell it in a roughly 16ft roll as a tubing for airline, part 7072.200

Mhart032

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's what I did. replaced the hose I actually removed the silencer and ran the tubing out the window to help with pH swings I was having with this setup at the time.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can within reason, needlewheel pumps do not have a very strong suction for air, as a result lengthening the hose restricts air flow, if you add a few inches, maybe a foot, the difference is negligible, but you can;t add multiple feet without seriously impeding performance.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back