Tunze 9004 DC Not Surface Skimming

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure you can see from the picture but my 9004 DC is not surface skimming. I would have thought the water level in the Weir would be lower than the water surface as the pump drags the water into the skimmer body?

IMG_20220602_100508946.jpg

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) This part has to be installed to get surface skimming, on units made in the last year, this part is included in the accessory pack with the spacers.

2) If submerged too deep, it skims a lot of sub surface water and surface film is not removed, you want to set it shallower to where a waterfall forms into the skimmer, generally around 1/3rd of the intake submerged is ideal.

DFR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may also need to further reduce the air intake. The foarmer is very efficient, so I found it necessary to greatly reduce the air to produce the best skimming on my system. When my cup is removed, I have about half the bubbles shown in your pic.

OP
OP
Clownfishy

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may also need to further reduce the air intake. The foarmer is very efficient, so I found it necessary to greatly reduce the air to produce the best skimming on my system. When my cup is removed, I have about half the bubbles shown in your pic.
That is interesting, I will give that a go. I have the air intake fully open.

Many thanks for the suggestion

Who me?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) This part has to be installed to get surface skimming, on units made in the last year, this part is included in the accessory pack with the spacers.

2) If submerged too deep, it skims a lot of sub surface water and surface film is not removed, you want to set it shallower to where a waterfall forms into the skimmer, generally around 1/3rd of the intake submerged is ideal.
What are the use cases /advantages to using the skimmer in contact mode as opposed to countercurrent mode? They come from the factory set in contact mode, so is that the preferred way to run these??

Is countercurrent purely to add surface skimming or is there more to it?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Clownfishy

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can you expand on what this part is and where it goes? Is this an optional part to purchase that does not come with the skimmer?
Many thanks

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In contact mode plankton is not removed, skimming happens slower but generally the same waste load will be removed and this greatly reduces issues with bubbles being ejected.

The part is included, it is in the accessories bag with the spacers, it installs in a rectangular opening on the bottom of the pump-

OP
OP
Clownfishy

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In contact mode plankton is not removed, skimming happens slower but generally the same waste load will be removed and this greatly reduces issues with bubbles being ejected.

The part is included, it is in the accessories bag with the spacers, it installs in a rectangular opening on the bottom of the pump-

Thanks for the info. I cant remember seeing it when i brought mine or i have misplaced it. I assume as mine is not skimming through the front grill, i dont have one

OP
OP
Clownfishy

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to close this thread off, I purchased the part that @rvitko mentioned and within 5 minutes, the skimmer removed all the film from the surface of the water. Absolutely AWESOME, so thank you.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 82 79.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.9%
Back