Tunze 9001 vs 9004

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t decide between these two skimmers…both will fit, is the 9004 much better than the 9001? The only thing that is putting me off the 9004 is the surface skimming it does, as the skimmer will be in an aio with slightly fluctuating water lvls., this might be an issue for the 9004?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a larger in sump Tunze and really like it. I'm not sure about these smaller skimmers.

If someone with experience using these two don't respond, you may want to contact the company to see if the surface skimming with be effected by the fluctuating water levels. I would tend to think it would be an issue with the function of the equipment. Tunze and other skimmers are usually really touchy on performance and water depth.

OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a larger in sump Tunze and really like it. I'm not sure about these smaller skimmers.

If someone with experience using these two don't respond, you may want to contact the company to see if the surface skimming with be effected by the fluctuating water levels. I would tend to think it would be an issue with the function of the equipment. Tunze and other skimmers are usually really touchy on performance and water depth.
Yeah that seems to be what has come up in a few threads…ended up going for a bubble magus mini, a 3rd of the cost and gets very good reviews, if it’s no good, it’s cheap enough to try something else.
Thanks.

EasternShoreman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

KC2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used both. Skip the 9004 if your water level isn't consistent.

Another option that size is the Aquamax NF-1. It's a pretty good skimmer, the best of the tiny ones IMO and I've had them all. Any skimmer that size tends to be something you have to tweak a little more often in my experience. Same as everything else with a Nano reef.

OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used both. Skip the 9004 if your water level isn't consistent.

Another option that size is the Aquamax NF-1. It's a pretty good skimmer, the best of the tiny ones IMO and I've had them all. Any skimmer that size tends to be something you have to tweak a little more often in my experience. Same as everything else with a Nano reef.
Will definitely give that one a try if the Bubble Magus doesn’t work for me…wasn’t really loving the idea of the tunze, very mixed reviews for not a cheap skimmer, especially if going for the DC model, the Magus has a DC pump as standard all for £45 or £240 for the 9004!

KC2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will definitely give that one a try if the Bubble Magus doesn’t work for me…wasn’t really loving the idea of the tunze, very mixed reviews for not a cheap skimmer, especially if going for the DC model, the Magus has a DC pump as standard all for £45 or £240 for the 9004!
The Tunze has mixed reviews because the vast majority of people don't understand that it's not going to produce a dry, high volume skimmate and conclude that it's not working correctly. Then they conclude that it's not adjustable, but it's not meant to be as adjustable as many designs.

If left to function as it does it will keep your tank clean while needing much less attention. Which it will do for years, hence the cost because it's built very well. Long after you've replaced the DC pump on the Bubble Magus the Tunze will be running the original. Long after the BM has cracked while you're cleaning it the Tunze will still be running without issue. You can also inject ozone into the Tunze which will make the BM brittle and cause it to break even sooner.

There are many approaches to skimmer design and many levels of quality. You do get what you pay for and if the BM fits your budget then it's the right thing to buy. It'll be fine for a couple of years.

DC motors are a new trend in the hobby. They're quiet and the ability to adjust them is very useful. However the Chinese can make anything to a price point and the life of that pump remains to be seen. £45 is the entry cost for the BM. It may not be the total cost.

Sitting at my feet is a skimmer that a few years ago was the king of the hobby. I ran it for about 3 months and it's like new in the box. I paid close to a thousand dollars for it. But while the design looked really cool and it produced a huge volume of air it really didn't skim that well. The company failed and it's worth 20 cents on the dollar of what I paid for it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back