TUNZE Aquawind Issue

Agustin Martinez III

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased an Tunze Aquawind to help cool my tank. My room temperature during the day can get up to 83-84 before we turn on the room's AC. I live in a hot area and electricity is expensive so we minimize using the window AC's at our place. I've been using frozen water bottles, but it gets to be too much after a while.

I installed the Aquawind, turned on the highest setting, and it is not cooling the tank at all. The room temperature was 78 and the tank temp was still at 80.1. I checked the heater and it was not turned on. I do have an ink bird controller I plan on installing, but wanted to see how effective the aqua wind was.

Has anyone else run into this issue?

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though I can‘t speak to the effectiveness of the Tunze fan, a tank temperature of 80.1 is very good for an ambient room temperature of 78 degrees. Think about the lights, return pump, powerheads and any other equipment you have running. These items are acting as “heaters” so to speak and is raising your tank temperature above the ambient room temperature.

OP
OP
Agustin Martinez III

Agustin Martinez III

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though I can‘t speak to the effectiveness of the Tunze fan, a tank temperature of 80.1 is very good for an ambient room temperature of 78 degrees. Think about the lights, return pump, powerheads and any other equipment you have running. These items are acting as “heaters” so to speak and is raising your tank temperature above the ambient room temperature.
That's a great point. I turned the lights off about 2 weeks ago to help with an algae outbreak. The only things on are the return pump and an MP10. I figured the Aquawind would bring it down once the ambient room temperature went below tank temp though. Just a little surprised it's not more effective after reading so many rave reviews of it.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not too big of a fan (pun intended ;)) of those little aquarium hobby fans. Before I got my chiller, I used a big floor standing Vornado, pointed directly at the surface of the water. That thing pushed some serious air. Those small fans marketed for the aquarium hobby seem wimpy to me and don’t seem to push enough air to promote enough evaporative cooling.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back