Tunze ATO pump vibration

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the Tunze ATO with a glass ATO container and it seems the pump and the container like to sing songs together. They resonate in perfectly horrible harmony.

At first I put a filter sponge underneath the pump and it worked ok, but I wanted something a bit more permanent. Tried a silicone mat in the bottom of the container and it works ok, but if the pump moves close to the edges of the container it can start to resonate again.

Looking around I found one place that produces a magnetic mount for the pump and two that produce 3D printed stands. I suspect the magnetic mount would not solve my problem since the problem is worse when the pump gets too close to the walls of the container. I'm thinking one of the stands might work. One has suction cup feet and one has adjustable feet. The goal would be to try to keep the pump more upright and stationary.

Has anyone used any of these options to support their Tunze ATO pump and have any feedback on their usefulness?

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening,

I‘ve never thought about it to be honest. The pump is so noisy on its own I never tried quieting it down against vibration. Mine doesn’t run but a few seconds so I never really notice anymore. You can buy a switched plug for the Tunze controller that lets you use any pump you want.

OP
OP
Calm Blue Ocean

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening,

I‘ve never thought about it to be honest. The pump is so noisy on its own I never tried quieting it down against vibration. Mine doesn’t run but a few seconds so I never really notice anymore. You can buy a switched plug for the Tunze controller that lets you use any pump you want.

Swapping out the pump is probably the most solid solution. The normal hum of the pump isn't so bad, but in the reservoir I can hear it from another room if I don't cushion it with something.

Sharkman89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a plastic bin with my Tunze on top of some egg crate and it is quite.

596569CF-6E66-4281-949E-CA1F10FD4450.jpeg 198938F3-5D23-412A-A3BE-D92B53D1A582.jpeg

OP
OP
Calm Blue Ocean

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And it sits inside of this..top pic without lid, bottom pic all covered up.

88CF5F55-ECF6-462F-931E-5E9AC38687E0.jpeg 8C10088B-D983-4D46-90F3-AA1FECC332B7.jpeg

Ah! Another nice idea! I'm sure having a glass box inside a bare stand just adds to the amplification of the vibration. Shouldn't be too hard to put something under the whole thing to absorb some of the sound. Worth a try!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back