Tunze ATO sensor not working

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Raphael Dalmeida

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I've got an old tunze ato 3155 and the optical sensor seems to have stopped working.

It overfills past the optical sensor until the float and then stops with high level alarm (beep).

I have tried many different methods such as cleaning the sensor, having it in vinegar for a while, moving the sensor to different spots in the tank, testing it on a separate container (bucket) and none have worked.

I've also checked for any siphons or bubbles.

It seems the sensor is no longer detecting water level change.

I live in Australia, is it possible to get it repaired or sensor replacement?

Thanks,

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is rare that a bad sensor results in overfilling, the default is to not fill, does it stop exactly at the float or is the float also submerged? Typically, filling past the sensor is a software issue, settings are erased by a power surge for example.

This is the service contact for Australia-

AquaDepot Imports
308 Holmes Rd
Forrestfield WA 6058
Location in Google Maps
Telephone: 0061-8-9359-4660
Facsimile: 0061-8-9359-3656
E-mail address: [email protected]

OP
OP
Raphael Dalmeida

Raphael Dalmeida

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is rare that a bad sensor results in overfilling, the default is to not fill, does it stop exactly at the float or is the float also submerged? Typically, filling past the sensor is a software issue, settings are erased by a power surge for example.

This is the service contact for Australia-

AquaDepot Imports
308 Holmes Rd
Forrestfield WA 6058
Location in Google Maps
Telephone: 0061-8-9359-4660
Facsimile: 0061-8-9359-3656
E-mail address: [email protected]
Hi rivtko,

It stops at the float and beeps high level alarm. It just seems that the optical sensor does not detect changes in the water level or when the water level touches it.

I did notice that it stopped working properly after a power surge, if it was a software issue can i solve it myself or would it also require to be sent out for repair?

I have tried emailing aqua depot on this email previously but have got no response.

I will try giving them a call on the number you provided.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, while software issues are relatively easy to solve it requires a special computer connector cable and the software so it would need to go in to them.

OP
OP
Raphael Dalmeida

Raphael Dalmeida

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reached out to aquadepot Australia and doesn't seem like they can help me much.

I've provided them with the overall gist of things and problem and photos of the internals of my controller whether sensor is hard wired or not.

Below is the response:

IMG_20220404_112827.jpg

I wonder if anyone in Australia here in the forum has had issues with their Tunze Osmolator and how they've gone about it?

I'm in real need of an ATO at the moment, might end up buying a new one from another brand if cannot fix this one as not worth replacing controller if so expensive and I'm not even sure if it will work.

IMG_20220404_111139.jpg

IMG_20220404_111208.jpg

IMG_20220404_111200.jpg

Regardless of the outcome I do appreciate the help here, and perhaps they do have a much better support in the USA than Australia.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the one hand, this controller is quite old, 10 years almost, and so you are kind of closing in on the expected life span of circuit components. From that stand point, repair is not always the best option, a new sensor in the US is $29.49, it is definitely tedious to replace the old soldered ones as new sensors have a plug, you have to cut the plug, the remaining wires are short, you have to strip and tin and remove the old solder and resolder the new ones. All this and you may gain a couple years before the capacitors and other components fail. In general with this age, I would replace the entire unit as while the controller alone will solve, every other part will be considerably worn and the controller only is more than 75% of the cost of a full unit. Your controller is not so old that it cannot be connected to diagnostics, it has the diagnostic connector, but working now and working in a couple years after spending on a repair, may not be the best investment.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 37.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back