Tunze nano FAILED me

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a Osmolator Nano 3152 Auto Top for my 20 gallon QT on April 2nd 2022. I installed it and made sure it was working properly and it did.

Today I came back from a 10 day trip (I never leave this long usually) and I see the water has evaporated to a level much below the sensor.

But now I’m just ticked off. I just started tinkering with this ATO and it seems like the dumb pump just isn’t working. I tried unplugging and plugging and a got a little whisper sound from the pump. Then I removed the sensor from the water and the pump “tried” to fill the tank with water for like 2 seconds, but no water came out.

Ridiculous. This was my first time ever trusting an ATO. It’s my first ever ATO I’ve had (usually used to just connect RODI directly to the tank).

EDIT: I didn’t realize that I was supposed to prime the pump after removing it from water. Tunze is good. It was my fault.

Last edited:

Jdadams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your ATO under your tank and having to pump water up to you display?

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!! So sorry this happened to you but glad to read your inhabitants seem fine. Something like this can sure take the high off a vacation real quick! It's almost like we have to build in triple redundancy in our systems nowadays.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it for sure working before you left?

It should have a warranty… make a claim and they will send you a new pump.

Any electrical component can fail :( Seems like bad luck. I think my Tunze been in service with the same pump for 7 years now.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it for sure working before you left?

It should have a warranty… make a claim and they will send you a new pump.

Any electrical component can fail :( Seems like bad luck. I think my Tunze been in service with the same pump for 7 years now.
I guarantee it was working before I left. It topped off the tank daily and kept the water line super stable for a few weeks (it evaporates 1 gallon a day).

It’s awful knowing that there’s no redundancy for when the water level gets too low. They put security to prevent overfilling only. :(

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait a dang minute. I just remembered a huge detail.

Right before my flight, I was trying to see if I can use my 40 gallon RODI brute as the reservoir instead of the 5 gallon bucket. I lifted the ATO pump and put it in the brute, but then decided it wasn’t a good idea so I placed the pump back into the original container.

I looked online and people are saying these tunze ato pumps need to be shaken in the water to remove the air. I did not know this nor did I do that.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard of issues with the Nano. I use the 3155 on my IM 14 AIO. They use the same pump and it can cavitate if an air bubble develops over the intake on the bottom. If the resevoir runs dry you should tip the pump upside down after filling it back up. I use a JBJ on my IM 20 and it hasn't failed.

Jdadams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And after the pump runs for 3 or 5 min constantly it shuts off and has to be unplugged and plugged back in to reset it

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Right before my flight, I was trying to see if I can use my 40 gallon RODI brute as the reservoir instead of the 5 gallon bucket. I lifted the ATO pump and put it in the brute, but then decided it wasn’t a good idea so I placed the pump back into the original container.

I looked online and people are saying these tunze ato pumps need to be shaken in the water to remove the air. I did not know this nor did I do that.
It’s working now. Can I get a face palm?

the naked gun facepalm GIF

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
They should be wiped clean monthly but regardless of brute or container- should not fail

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Right there is the problem. I do this each time I refill the ATO sump. I have had one running for close to 20 years with few problems.

Last edited:

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right there is the problem. I do this each tome I refill the ATO sump. I have had one running for close to 20 years with few problems.

Dang, and I thought I was doing good with 7 years non stop operation... didn't even know they made them 20 years ago.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, and I thought I was doing good with 7 years non stop operation... didn't even know they made them 20 years ago.
Honestly when you get old time just slips away...15-20 years it is all a blink of the eye lol! Had Tunze in the late 1980's all top mounted on a track then.

Heidi54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a Osmolator Nano 3152 Auto Top for my 20 gallon QT on April 2nd 2022. I installed it and made sure it was working properly and it did.

Today I came back from a 10 day trip (I never leave this long usually) and I see the water has evaporated to a level much below the sensor.

But now I’m just ticked off. I just started tinkering with this ATO and it seems like the dumb pump just isn’t working. I tried unplugging and plugging and a got a little whisper sound from the pump. Then I removed the sensor from the water and the pump “tried” to fill the tank with water for like 2 seconds, but no water came out.

Ridiculous. This was my first time ever trusting an ATO. It’s my first ever ATO I’ve had (usually used to just connect RODI directly to the tank).

EDIT: I didn’t realize that I was supposed to prime the pump after removing it from water. Tunze is good. It was my fault.
Hi, so soory about your disappointing experience. Im preparing to purchase the exact on you have. Was wondering if you decided to use a check valve and if you did. Would you be so kind to share it with me. Thank you so much. This will be my first ATO as well. I’ll remember the lesson you learned. Bummer

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, so soory about your disappointing experience. Im preparing to purchase the exact on you have. Was wondering if you decided to use a check valve and if you did. Would you be so kind to share it with me. Thank you so much. This will be my first ATO as well. I’ll remember the lesson you learned. Bummer
Tunze is very good and the most reliable ATO on the market. The issue was that I didn’t remove the air bubbles after removing the pump from water. The ATO is working flawlessly.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have missed around with mine for some time, even though they are a good ATO they have many points of failure.

1. if there is a air bubble in the pump.
2. If the glass is too thin the magnet will pull against the float, causing it to stick open or close.
3. If the pump was trying to work but because of the air pocket it will time out, and the only way to re set it is to remove the wire from the the little box. Then check for air pocket, no water air pocket.

If you want a fail safe ATO for a nano buy 3 or 4 of these,

WuyouChy Aquarium ATO System Fish Tank Water Level Controller Automatic Top Off Water Filler with Adapter

Gravity ATO - IceCap - Bulk Reef Supplyhttps://www.bulkreefsupply.com › gravity-ato-icecap

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 149 75.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back