Tunze Osmolator 3155 ATO Stops Pumping After 30 Seconds

  • Thread starter Thread starter Obriy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Obriy

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 11, 2024
Messages
178
Reaction score
82
Location
Florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had Tunze 3155 for about four months and it is connected to a timer to pump water 4 times a day to avoid constant pump buzzing (the tank is located next to my work desk and the timer turns the pump on when I'm not there). A week ago I've noticed that the water level in my return pump chamber is considerably below the ATO controller. Evidently, every time the ATO is powered up, the pump works for around 30 seconds and then stops with green LED showing "Level". So, it adds some water four times a day, but not enough to keep up with evaporation. This issue, probably, started a while earlier, but it took some time for the water to drop to a noticeable level.
I do use Kalkwasser mix of about one two flat teaspoons of kalkwasser for a gallon of water. Not sure if it matters now though, since the pump flow is good when it works.

Does anyone have any idea what is happening?
 
The whole point of having an ato with sensors is to control the water level. Why is it on a timer? Clean the low level sensor take it off the timer and see if that helps. If you want to use a timer get a dosing pump with the correct amount of flow you want. There is an adjustment inside the Tunze control box to adjust the amount of time the pump stays on. I would not mess with it (and I have never had to in the past) until you get it hooked up correctly.
 
Upvote 0
Ok, so if I remove timer and keep my ATO on all the time, I will not get it pumping water at all. And, the adjustment inside the Tunze control box is not for amount of time the pump stays on, but the flow level.
 
Upvote 0
Ok, so if I remove timer and keep my ATO on all the time, I will not get it pumping water at all. And, the adjustment inside the Tunze control box is not for amount of time the pump stays on, but the flow level.
I believe mine has a little white switch that changes the time the pump will run inside the controller. I have not messed with it in a long time I may be remembering it incorrectly. It may do as you say also. If its not pumping at all the sensor is dirty or faulty or your high-level float is being tripped. Is the indicator green? If so while powered on what happens if you put the high level in the up position to simulate an over level protection?
 
Upvote 0
Something is off with your level sensor. If the control box lights up the green level, it thinks it's full and doesn't need to pump. Betting you have some salt creep or other debris on the sensor. Once you get that sorted, definitely take it off the timer as suggested.

Good luck, I had a similar issue with mine once and it was just a dirty sensor!
 
Upvote 0
You can easily clean the sensor with a diluted vinegar solution and a micofiber cloth. I used to have to clean mine every 2 months or so - but switched to Red Sea ATO as you have a lot more control via the app (but sensor also needs to be cleaned to avoid salt creep + other residue blocking sensor)
 
Upvote 0
I believe mine has a little white switch that changes the time the pump will run inside the controller. I have not messed with it in a long time I may be remembering it incorrectly. It may do as you say also. If its not pumping at all the sensor is dirty or faulty or your high-level float is being tripped. Is the indicator green? If so while powered on what happens if you put the high level in the up position to simulate an over level protection?
Sorry, but I couldn't find a white switch in my controller and there is no mentioning about it in a manual for Tunze 3155. Only pump power and warning signals can be adjusted.
https://www.tunze.com/fileadmin/gebrauchsanleitungen/x3155.8888.pdf
 
Upvote 0
You can easily clean the sensor with a diluted vinegar solution and a micofiber cloth. I used to have to clean mine every 2 months or so - but switched to Red Sea ATO as you have a lot more control via the app (but sensor also needs to be cleaned to avoid salt creep + other residue blocking sensor)
How much do you dilute 5% vinegar to clean a sensor?
 
Upvote 0
Something is off with your level sensor. If the control box lights up the green level, it thinks it's full and doesn't need to pump. Betting you have some salt creep or other debris on the sensor. Once you get that sorted, definitely take it off the timer as suggested.

Good luck, I had a similar issue with mine once and it was just a dirty sensor!
The aquarium is in my bedroom and the reason I put ATO on timer is because it used to wake me up at night. The pump is way too loud.
 
Upvote 0
I just use a soft bristle tooth brush and tank water. You could easily do 50/50 vinegar and water let it soak for a couple minutes and wipe it off with a soft cloth. The tip of the optical sensor should be just touching the water.
 
Upvote 0
It's here
I pulled this from your link. It will pump more on the larger setting.
Screenshot_20240528_070850_Word.jpg
 
Upvote 0
The osmolator turns on and will pump no matter what, it's a "test". Then it shuts off. If the eye is not working or dirty, it thinks the tank is full. If you think that is not the issue, leave it on one day and make sure it's working correctly. Having turn on 4 times a day shouldn't be an issue if it works correctly.
 
Upvote 0
It's here
I pulled this from your link. It will pump more on the larger setting.
Screenshot_20240528_070850_Word.jpg
That is different than the one I have but I think it kind of does the same thing. The longer the pump runs per turn on the less turn ons it will have. I think mine is used more of a safety net to insure the pump doesnt burn out or put too much water in an over the limit type scenario.
 
Upvote 0
How much do you dilute 5% vinegar to clean a sensor?
i used 1/2 water and 1/2 vinegar and just dipped a cloth into it.... vinegar is ok for your tank so you shouldn't be too worried
 
Upvote 0
How much do you dilute 5% vinegar to clean a sensor?
i used 1/2 vinegar and 1/2 water and dipped a cloth to clean. A little vinegar is ok for your tank (i believe it lowers nitrates and phosphates as people also dose it directly so you shouldn't be too worried about the % just to clean a sensor)
 
Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 23.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new