Tunze Osmolator 3155 Issues

Rollinreefer80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am reaching out to the Reef2Reef community to see if anyone can help me. I currently just setup my 120 and I started using a Tunze 3155 Osmolator ATO that I had for about 3 years from the previous setup. When I installed the ATO the pump came on and filled the water to the sensor. 2 - 5 minutes later it would start to fill again adding about another 1 1/2 gallons of water and triggering the high alarm switch which activates the high alarm ( drives my wife crazy). Cleaning the sensor with vinegar did not help. After about a month of battling this problem I bought another one yesterday and set it up today. Unfortunately, it is doing the same thing with a new unit. I have even used my old bracket to set the high alarm switch at a higher level because the pump will not shut off at the sensor point, it just overfills completely submerging the sensor. I do not know what I am doing wrong but I don't remember having these issues before. If anyone has any recommendations on how I can solve this issue I would greatly appreciate it.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One idea: sensors upside down?

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agreed, with the above posts . Stop and think what are the chances of both units having the same problem.. that's how I realize im overlooking something silly. I mean it can happen obviously but retrace the steps

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem with mine after about 3 years a few weeks ago. The pump didn’t switch off but I caught it.

When you switch it on it does a self test and I seem to remember that the first light comes on for about a second and mine was red which meant optical sensor fault. There’s a thread on RC I think with a similar issue if you do a search which is were I found it.

I actually removed the entire system thinking it was broken and left it in a box although I did wipe the optical sensor again

I tested it again last week and it worked so I’m thinking maybe the sensor was dirty or something stopping it detecting water. I know there is an issue if you get micro bubbles on the sensor which can also happen when there new because of a slight ‘film’ on the sensor

Just also check you don’t have a siphon issue that’s causing a problem.

Last edited:

BayouReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your sump level constant maybe your return pump is surging. Water returning from overflow maybe getting hung up in return piping before it gets back to the sump then hits sump all at once increasing level

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention you can turn this off inside the unit as well as adjusting for ATO size
Can you turn off the startup alarm? Like when the outlet turns on?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

adrianr514

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever figure this out? I have the same issue we’re the optical sensor does not trigger the controller off and it keeps filling until the backup float triggers the stop.

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just buy an XP Aqua Duetto and stop this problem
How long have you had your XP Aqua Duetto? I actually just ordered one since it was recently on sale but I recently started having this issue with my 3155 in my old tank. Would like to hear if there is a solution as well. Note in my old tank, it used to work fine and now has stopped working with this issue without ever moving it.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe its just old? If you have an apex get an optical eye from them and use that, I think it works, I have no ATO but I will get one soon and I was going to get a tunze but lately they seem to be inefficient?

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe its just old? If you have an apex get an optical eye from them and use that, I think it works, I have no ATO but I will get one soon and I was going to get a tunze but lately they seem to be inefficient?
Mine is circa 9 months old so shouldn’t be an issue.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you guys tried getting in touch with Roger, NA Tunze rep? He’ll help you trouble shoot the problem and will have you back up and running. His customer service is second to none.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 43.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%

Back