Tupes' 65 gallon JBJ

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of you know i was planning on doing a large upgrade from a 70 to a 180. After starting to plan it my wife and I have decided when i do that, it would look better if it would be built in a wall and being i dont have the room for something like that now I'm planning on going a different route.

Many of you have seen my current setup, its a 75g that was originally a freshwater setup that i converted. I have had it set up about 5 +/- years i have never had a sump or fancy equipment. Only equipment i used was a small protien skimmer and a hob 110 aquaclear that i would put chemipure in from time to time. 5 gallon buckets for regular water changes. I would do about 15 gallons every 3-4 weeks. I have only had a max of 6-7 small fish so water quality was never really an issue. With work being so busy lately and a tank crash i had a few months ago i got a bit burnt out.

So Im wanting to get excited again so im planning another tank.

A little update on my choice of equipment.

(*purchased gear)

Gear:
*Tank-65 gallon JBJ Flat panel AIO
*Stand- custom built
*Light- 2x Hydra 26HD
*Controller- Apex Classic
*Auto feeder- Ehiem
*Powerhead- Maxpect Gyer 230xf
*ATO- Tunze 3155 ATO
*Rock- Caribsea Life rock
*Sand- Tropic Edin Reef Flakes

Last edited:

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning I love my JBJ 45 Gallon. I have had it a year but I converted mine to have a sump inside the stand and I love it
Click on my videos in my sig line and checked it out
Looks like a great beginning though

OP
OP
tupes

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: In 8 years in SW i purchased my first controller. It will be an Apex Classic. Next purchases will be the tank, stand, rock and sand.

(*purchased gear)

Gear:
*Tank- 65 gallon JBJ aio
Stand- will be a custom built
*Light- led purchased from amazon
*ATO- Tunze ATO
Sand- Tropic Eden reef flakes or mini flakes

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following and congrats!

OP
OP
tupes

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little updat on my choice of equipment.

(*purchased gear)

Gear:
*Tank- 65 gallon JBJ AIO
Stand- will be a custom built
*Light- led purchased from amazon
*Auto feeder- Ehiem
*Power head- Vortech MP10
*ATO- Tunze 3155
ATO
Sand- Tropic Edin Reef Flakes

Im also leaning toward the Innovative Marine 50 gallon Lagoon for the tank. I was doing a lot of reading and seeing a few people had the jbj 45 glass crack on them. Also i think the 40 gallon was not enough room so i thing the 50 will be perfect.

Last edited:

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm I know of at least ten people that have the JBJ45 gal ( and there is a forum here for that tank)
That haven't had problems
Where did you read that? I would like to learn how or what just in case I have had mind 13 months now

OP
OP
tupes

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They cracked where the glass was curved. Also i heard about bad craftsmanship with them. I had a chance to see one and perso. And this is what it looked like in the back. Some looked good then some lookes as if they were putting ot together during an earthquake.

Screenshot_20170323-090942.png

Screenshot_20170323-090939.png

Screenshot_20170323-090936.png

Screenshot_20170323-090932.png

OP
OP
tupes

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do however understand any tank is capable of cracking but when its the same tank in the same area dont think I want to take that chance. MACNA will be here in NO (5 minutes from my house) in a few months so thats when i plan to look at some options up close and make my decision. I might even be able to talk to the jbj folks if they will be there.

AllTankDylan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard the same thing about the JBJ 45G's and most tanks with those curved corners. I know I wouldn't have one in my house, but any tank is able to crack.

Those lagoons are nice! Good luck.

OP
OP
tupes

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
***UPDATE*** the tank will be the new JBJ 65 gallon flat panel AIO.. Picked it up from MACNA. I think JBJ will be releasing these tanks within the next month or two. The stand will be getting done in the next couple of weeks or so. Need to buy my sand and then I'll do my next update.

I decided to use the Caribsea Life Rock for my tank. The light I decided to go with is the JBJ Orion Sl-140 series. I'm also looking to up grade the 2 return pumps with one small dc pump.

EriksOasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great choice. I have a jbj 45 about 2 years now and it's awesome the sump area looks nothing like you pictures very clean and neat work mayb the newer models went through better quality control. Goodluck with your tank tagging along to see how it turns out.

OP
OP
tupes

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@EriksOasis this tank is definitely much cleaner in the back chambers. The difference with this one is it has filter socks at the overflows. I plan on making a fuge with some macro algea but not 100% sure yet.

EriksOasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea. I believe bulkreefsupply makes socks and mounts that fit my tank I haven't tried yet tho. I upgraded my return pump to the sicce 3.0 for greater filtration. Tanks doing awesome

IMG_1622.JPG

OP
OP
tupes

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@EriksOasis I also thought about the sicce pump but Im leaning toward getting a dc waveline 2500 pump for the return. Im hoping its not to strong.

EriksOasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldn't be too much flow worst case scenario you could put a flow valve in place.

Edit. Just viewed the pump and it is completely adjustable so you should be fine with the flow

OP
OP
tupes

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I was thinking about powerhead options today. I have an MP10 that I purchased from someone but was thinking of the glass thickness. The 65 is 1/2" and I think the max thickness for the MP10 is 3/8. Not sure if that would make a difference or not. I was thinking about the maxspect gyre instead.

Last edited:

EriksOasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you were looking to purchase in the next month BRS has the mps on sale right now and are right around the same price.

Back