Turf Algae

Miguel Negron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I am currently going throw a problem with my aquarium involving turf algae. I been battling this for the past year. First time, I removed all the corals from the rocks and removed the rocks from the tank. I ended up scraping all the hair and cleaning the rock. After that I haven’t seen it in a couple months. Few months later, it happens again!
This time instead of removing the rock. I tried Mexican turbo snails and vibrant. That didn’t help, so I ended up removing the rocks again and scraping everything off. Now instead of a couple months, the algae returned the next week. I’m really running out of ideas and this is making me frustrated that I don’t wanna deal with it anymore. But, I don’t wanna give up on the hobby.

My tank:
20 Gallon Long
Filter (Chemi-Pure, Kolar GFO, Poly-Bio Filter Pad, Acurel Pad)
Tank parameters in check
Tank shows 0 Phosphate & Nitrate

Below I have added a picture of my tank with turf before, then my whole tank cleaned and scraped, then how’s its currently growing back.

Thank you for viewing

005E1C76-943D-4582-827C-84319CFFF62E.jpeg BC847A5C-417B-41AB-8409-D6F497108FCE.jpeg DDEE9323-C9D2-47BD-8908-804CA814F544.jpeg

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did you try vibrant and how often did you dose?
You could try adding more cuc or a tang to try to tackle it but usually these things take scrubbing and removing. I would take rocks out, scrape off as much as possible trying to get the roots off, then spray peroxide on the area, let it sit for a bit, then rinse and return to tank. It may take one or 2 tries but that should do it. In connection I would try vibrant after the treatment or you may want add a fuge or something as your tank is supplying enough nutrients for nuisance algae... something will grow to take up those nutrients- you want it to be something you control.

OP
OP
Miguel Negron

Miguel Negron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did you try vibrant and how often did you dose?
You could try adding more cuc or a tang to try to tackle it but usually these things take scrubbing and removing. I would take rocks out, scrape off as much as possible trying to get the roots off, then spray peroxide on the area, let it sit for a bit, then rinse and return to tank. It may take one or 2 tries but that should do it. In connection I would try vibrant after the treatment or you may want add a fuge or something as your tank is supplying enough nutrients for nuisance algae... something will grow to take up those nutrients- you want it to be something you control.
Thank you for replying. I will look into to adding and trying this method out.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its true. likely to work and you can use a tiny test area first, doesnt have to be whole tank. you are willing to apply it, thats very rare and this whole time you have been preventing a full takeover, doing whats required, only missing that algaecidal step above. nice

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your troubles. You are tackling the problem hands on, keep it up! Check out what our sponser writes about the nuisance here;

An excuse to buy some Emerald crabs? I think so.

Back