turf algae?

lucasb.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just got done battling gha and now i think i’m left with turf algae. if it is does anyone have any tips or solutions? it’s a 10 gallon cube with a single clown, trochus snail and tuxedo urchin.

4942B175-DF01-40E7-86AD-6F0A2CD67E1C.jpeg

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does look like it, the turf algae I had was darker. It took two back to back rounds of Fluconazole to finally rid my tank of it. Installed an ATS after it was gone and it hasn't returned.

OP
OP
L

lucasb.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does look like it, the turf algae I had was darker. It took two back to back rounds of Fluconazole to finally rid my tank of it. Installed an ATS after it was gone and it hasn't returned.
what brand of fluconazole did u use? i’ve been looking into it and i don’t even know where to start.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I used. Follow the instructions and in a few days you should see the algae turning white and thinning out. If it doesn't you might need to do another round like in my case.

pwilliaml

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was struggling with turf algae as well in my tank and as fast as I could remove it by hand and with snails and urchins it would grow back. A week before Christmas I dosed Flux RX by Blue Life USA. I got it from Saltwateraquarium.com, but I've seen it on Amazon as well. Well by the time I got back from visiting family just under 2 weeks later, it had nearly wiped out all my turf algae and my chaeto was still alive, so I'm very happy with it. There is still a little left in the tank, but I'll let the urchins and snails get it. Definitely recommend it.

DoctaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was struggling with turf algae as well in my tank and as fast as I could remove it by hand and with snails and urchins it would grow back. A week before Christmas I dosed Flux RX by Blue Life USA. I got it from Saltwateraquarium.com, but I've seen it on Amazon as well. Well by the time I got back from visiting family just under 2 weeks later, it had nearly wiped out all my turf algae and my chaeto was still alive, so I'm very happy with it. There is still a little left in the tank, but I'll let the urchins and snails get it. Definitely recommend it.
Did it affect any corals? SPS/LPS?

pwilliaml

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did it affect any corals? SPS/LPS?
No negative effects to any of my corals. If any, most have gotten larger and puffed out since the algae isn't irritating them any more. I would definitely use this stuff again if I ever have another issue. The only negative affects is some of my snails have died probably due to low food supply. Trying to keep the rest alive by putting seaweed in the tank for food.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 35 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.9%
Back