Turn my reef into a cooking pot

zcedric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello folks.

So I kinda want to restart my tank and nuke everything beside some corals and fish.
I would transfer all my fish and corals to a qt and then:

What do you think or think it could work:
heat up the water (150-170F) so i do not need to remove anything to nuke the tank and everything connected to it.. pipes.. pumps.. ect.
Do you think the equipment could hold this temperatures and what about the tank seals?
Or is there another way to do it? Like add some deathly chemical... I'm worried that I will not get it out of my system ones everything is dead.
What about take the water and sand out for a month so everything will dry and die..

thanks

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Um dont do that. If you have anything that can give off toxins they will be released o to your home. And this will probably be the last time we hear from you. Except for hey did you read about that guy that poisoned himself with palytoxins bc he boiled his tank and the vapor killed everyone.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use can use liquid chlorine for pools. It will kill everything and gas out naturally and harmlessly, run your skimmer and you'll be ready to start again, essentially nuking your tank.

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can drain the tank and dose all the stuff with peroxide. take equipment out and give it a vinegar bath.

OP
OP
zcedric

zcedric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Um dont do that. If you have anything that can give off toxins they will be released o to your home. And this will probably be the last time we hear from you. Except for hey did you read about that guy that poisoned himself with palytoxins bc he boiled his tank and the vapor killed everyone.

hmm.. question is what could release toxins.. most not living things can hold up these temps..

OP
OP
zcedric

zcedric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can drain the tank and dose all the stuff with peroxide. take equipment out and give it a vinegar bath.

yes, i know about this idea.. problem.. it is not so easy do remove pimpes and others as heat the stuff up.. lol

Last edited by a moderator:

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your tank good luck. than I would add a ton of vinegar I'm pretty sure that would nuke it. pool chemicals like someone else mentioned. peroxide. you could make the salinity super high.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
omg.. i just read about that.. ok idea is gone.
good that i ask about that first.. lol.
I had no idea.. where did you read about that?

thanks
I've known about palytoxons for a very long time. Been in the hobby since the 90s

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just read about cases where people died or almost died by cooking their rock at home.. omg
Yea dude. That's y I said something. Lol. Best thing to do, take all the rock out put them out in the sun for a week to dry out, then you could do a bleach or pool chlorine bath... then rinse and dry out in the sun again for a few days. After that you can always take a scraper or new(clean) wire brush to any problem spots you see left on the rocks. And start over.

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea dude. That's y I said something. Lol. Best thing to do, take all the rock out put them out in the sun for a week to dry out, then you could do a bleach or pool chlorine bath... then rinse and dry out in the sun again for a few days. After that you can always take a scraper or new(clean) wire brush to any problem spots you see left on the rocks. And start over.
listen to this guy he knows whats up. yeah I would nuke if I had that problem to I hope you can get rid of it all

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not sell the mess, opps, I mean (complete running reef tank) and really start over with all new stuff.
Maybe you have the time and not the money, I duno.....

Nick30G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Veremetids snails are hardly a good reason for a tank tear down. I had them and they slowly went away over time and they never hurt any of my corals in my tank. I think you are other thinking this.

Back