Turn off ATO when putting tank in feed mode?

PhamousPhish

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 22, 2025
Messages
194
Reaction score
54
Location
Orlando
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Innovative Marine 75gal EXT. because of the external overflow I put the tank in feed mode so my external overflow box stays cleaner and food doesnt go in it.
However, when I put it in feed mode it causes my tunze ato to beep until the tank turns back on.
I have been having huge salinity issues for months because id turn off my ato when putting in feed mode and then turning it back on and it would dump more RO water in.
What am I supposed to do??? I have finally got my salinity back to a good spot and I want to continue to put the tank in feed mode while feeding but I cant listen to the ato beep for 10min its driving me crazy.
 
Where do you have the top off sensor located? The sump?
 
That’s why I don’t use the feed mode. I hate it. I just turn off one power head.

But if you want to use it, yes, turn off your ATO.
But then my ato beeps super loud until the feed mode is over...and if I dont use the feed mode then food goes down my external overflow....also i do turn off my one mp10.
Anyone else please advise?
 
Should I just raise my entire magnet on the ato in my chamber? THow high or low am I supposed to know where to put it? I guess I could raise the whole magnet a few inches. How do I know where I should be putting it?
 
There is no need to turn off the return.
This is my current ext 170. 1.5 years. I run 400 Micro mesh socks, feed heavy, and never turn off the return.
I run an ext 50 and ext 112 and do the same.
20260124_163305.jpg
 
Could I just raise my whole ato magnet? Its the float switch that is being triggered in my sump for the beeping when in feed mode.
 
I dont want build up in my ext because its right up against the wall and very difficult to get in to clean if I ever have to
 
I have a Innovative Marine 75gal EXT. because of the external overflow I put the tank in feed mode so my external overflow box stays cleaner and food doesnt go in it.
However, when I put it in feed mode it causes my tunze ato to beep until the tank turns back on.
I have been having huge salinity issues for months because id turn off my ato when putting in feed mode and then turning it back on and it would dump more RO water in.
What am I supposed to do??? I have finally got my salinity back to a good spot and I want to continue to put the tank in feed mode while feeding but I cant listen to the ato beep for 10min its driving me crazy.
Think you have a different problem than you think, an ato going off when feed mode ends will not cause a salinity issue, the extra water will ever so slightly drop salinity but within an hour or so the salinity will correct itself because the ato will not trigger again until that extra water has evaporated, thereby correcting the salinity…you either have a different issue causing a salinity issue or the device you use to check salinity is incorrect.
 
Think you have a different problem than you think, an ato going off when feed mode ends will not cause a salinity issue, the extra water will ever so slightly drop salinity but within an hour or so the salinity will correct itself because the ato will not trigger again until that extra water has evaporated, thereby correcting the salinity…you either have a different issue causing a salinity issue or the device you use to check salinity is incorrect.
Thanks for reply. My salinity is good now but I dknt wanna keep having to turn off my ato when in feed mode. Is there a reason to raise my whole ato magnet in sump? Should I just raise the float switch and leave the black sensor piece lower? Is that even possible? Chatgpt hasn't been helpful hoping you guys will help better than it!
 
I dont want build up in my ext because its right up against the wall and very difficult to get in to clean if I ever have to
Just use a turkey baster once a month. Keeps it spotless.
Detrius is going to build up along with algea growth if not kept clean and not from any food you put in the system.
 
Ok and what about raising the ato sensors? My problem is the float switch being engaged when the water level raises due to going into feed mode
 
You could turn off the overfill alarm. The float switch will still disable the ato if there is a true overfill situation. There is a jumper that needs moved inside the controller box.
 
Ok and what about raising the ato sensors? My problem is the float switch being engaged when the water level raises due to going into feed mode
Like I said no reason to turn it off.
 
Am I supposed to put the float switch on a different magnet than the optical?
 
Thanks for reply. My salinity is good now but I dknt wanna keep having to turn off my ato when in feed mode. Is there a reason to raise my whole ato magnet in sump? Should I just raise the float switch and leave the black sensor piece lower? Is that even possible? Chatgpt hasn't been helpful hoping you guys will help better than it!
No need to turn it off or move it, feed mode will reduce flow and raise the water level, turning off feed mode will lower the water lvl to its previous lvl, this shouldn’t trigger the ato, turning off the ato in many models causes them to prime and drop a small amount of water in the tank, as I previously said this tiny bit of water is not enough to make a significant difference in salinity and will just mean the ato will miss one of its fills.

My fix, don’t use feed mode, its more trouble than its worth, full flow helps get the food to all parts of the tank and allows timid fish to get some food, and helps with a good feeding response from the fish, if you have a lot or even a small amount going over the overflow, you are feeding too much and that is what the overflow is there for anyway, not turning it off to me has way more benefits than using feed mode.
 
Like I said no reason to turn it off.
Sorry but I want to use a feed mode for a few reasons. My tank isn't massive and it seems like the food just goes towards that overflow.
Could it be my magnet for the float switch and glass optical sensor is too low?? If I raise it wouldn't it just dump more ro water in leaving me with same problem but more water in sump...sorry been putting this issue off for so long but its time to fix it
 
Sorry but I want to use a feed mode for a few reasons. My tank isn't massive and it seems like the food just goes towards that overflow.
Could it be my magnet for the float switch and glass optical sensor is too low?? If I raise it wouldn't it just dump more ro water in leaving me with same problem but more water in sump...sorry been putting this issue off for so long but its time to fix it
What are you feeding, I’m guessing flake, do you crumble it and drop it in under the water, that normally keeps the flakes off the surface.
 
What are you feeding, I’m guessing flake, do you crumble it and drop it in under the water, that normally keeps the flakes off the surface.
Frozen mysis thst I thaw in tank water and then dump in
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 19.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 32.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new