!!!TURNS OUT MY MY TANK WAS TRYING TO KILL ME AFTER ALL/or it was simply mimicking cartoon spinach...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok. sensational title notwithstanding, I felt my weeks tribulations were worth sharing. Started off with a mildly swelling elbow.

Of course Dr internet led me to believe it was a simple case of bursitis

But, by Tuesday it was expanding to my forearm and lower bicep. I never had bursitis, and really knew nothing about it and shrugged it off as most stubborn men do. The internet said bursitis is usually not anything really serious so I heeded this info. "I'm sure they will just send me home if I actually go to the Dr" I thought. No point in that. Right? Unless.......

By yesterday (wednesday). My left arm looked like Popeye and I definitely felt weird. All day. Just not quite right. Something's off. So like I said, the internet seems to think bursitis is generally not a huge concern, unless......the area was warm. And boy was it warm. Hot really. I had my wife and kids confirm by touch, and even got out the laser thermometer I use to measure water temps. Right elbow, about 86 degrees. Left elbow all of 99-100.

So I went in. And here's whew it gets kind of cool, maybe. Depends on how you look at it I suppose. But I mentioned to the nurse what I did for a living, and while intrigued, his tone shifted just away from a little bit chatty, too concerned enough for me to notice. And when the Dr. finally came in she did not hesitate for a second to pinpoint the infection to some sort of bacteria, from the saltwater. I was a little shocked but her explanation checked out to me. I had a minor wound on my elbow that was the point of entry and the timeline made perfect sense to me. She had actually mentioned she had experience with this sort of thing and other odd aquarium related maladies before. We talked briefly about palytoxin and vibiro bacteria and touched on aquabiomics testing even.

Anyway, she wasted no time in prescribing Doxycycline monohydrate and a strong anti-inflammatory. The good new is, today I woke up and it's definitely not getting bigger, so I think I made the right call going in, and that really is the moral of this story.

And, I'll confess a bit of an eye opener for me. Because, in over 20+ years of having my hands in the aquarium nearly every day, this is the first time I've had an issue that could have been serious and would probably not have gone away on its own.

Now, whether it was 100% aquarium related, We'll never know. I'm guessing there are tests they could have done to confirm, but there was no doubt that it was infected beyond what she said typical cellulitis would be. So there you have it.

The lesson for me is to be a little more careful in general over all. Use gloves at all times and be very mindful of any cuts or scrapes I may have that get near the water. And, ultimately realize that there are "things" in our aquariums we can't see and would otherwise be very ambivalent about, that are all too easy to underestimate the very real and potential dangers of.

One to grow on I suppose.

However, I know there are a lot of smart cookies on this forum and I'd be very interested to hear any thoughts or insights or shared experiences on this subject for sure. You think the Doc was right in her assumption?

Here's me and my gushy jel-bow lol. Swellings has gone down a little bit at least since yesterday. I think.

Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 8.59.53 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 9.02.01 AM.png

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, bacteria and open wounds don’t mix brother! I cut my finger on a rock working on a neighbor’s tank. Short story: I ended up in the cardiac unit at the hospital for three days on iv antibiotics. I’m very happy you got the meds you need before something very serious happened! Take care!

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes. That's scary!
I just received the results of my aquabiomics test, and that was convincing enough for me to decide I need to go find some of those elbow length gloves. Anyone who grew up on a farm will know what I'm talking about. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
It really shouldn't have taken that long for me, as I'm sensitive to coral stings anyway. Euphyllia and mushrooms can leave some nasty welts.
Brushed against a frogspawn a few days ago. Swelling is finally starting to go down.
1000011919.jpg

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
https://maps.app.goo.gl/m8dA7ejkn7hk7CWZ8
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang dude glad your ok.
Im terrible I going to the doctor myself. I always think it will clear up or the doctor will just tell me to go home and take some aspirin. I'm definitely getting better now days at goin in though.
Glad to hear your on the uptick !

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you’re on the mend Adam. You absolutely made the right call. I had an infection from cat bites and claws when a cat I had years ago had been freaking out due to being in accident themselves and I needed both oral and IV meds. So yeah I take stuff like that pretty seriously.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey thanks guys! Good insights for sure. Matt though jeeze. That’s the kind of horror story that scars me. On too many occasions I’ve sliced my hand or arm or finger on a sharp shell edge or something on the rock work, literally bleeding in the tank and paid it no mind whatsoever. Lots of swollen weird feeling hands and odd tastes in my mouth over the years as well, but nothing quite like the elbow this week.

@Reefer Matt, Glad you made it through that though. I mean yikes that’s about as serious as it gets if you ask me

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reefer Matt, Glad you made it through that though. I mean yikes that’s about as serious as it gets if you ask me
Thanks. Likewise. Yeah the infection went into my lymph node system. Started off as a swollen finger, then other parts. Luckily I didn’t let my stubborness prevail, and went to the ER. They said it would’ve been bad news if it went to the heart. And to think we haphazardly dump in bacteria like it’s fish food…
Pouring Austin Powers GIF

Last edited:

penguinexdeus

Poor Decision Maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If something doesn't feel right or feels off - always get it checked out and always keep pestering doctors if things aren't getting better... we learned that the hard way after my wife had a stroke due to a blood infection...

On bright side you may have gotten some coral names out of it:
- Daily Doxycycline
- Adam's Jel-Bow

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Crazy!! Definatley keep an eye out on it i had a very similar experience but mine resulted in 5 days in hospital!

Chris Hufham

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a guy that bought corals from me. and he said his thumb swelled up and exploded. The docs fix him up good as new. So go for that coral on that live rock! I had a peace of live rock that at night it looked like a Welder was working in the aquarium! All i could see on that rock the next day was like a white Hair on it. Lit up the house for months till a heater went bad!

Jay6363

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1000% glad you went in, vibrio has been linked to necrotizing fasciitis- (flesh eating bacteria as well as other bacteria like certain staph strains). That’s were my mind went right away. Like you said you had an entry point which is all it takes sometimes.
Keep an eye on it. If it progresses at all with the antibiotics don’t hesitate to go back in. But she most likely has you covered.

Trust me I know- ICU nurse with experience in this department, and also recipient/pt with this. Not fun.

You know how to get a hold of me if you need to ask questions.

Jay

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang dude! I’m so bad about this myself.. ugh… glad it got taken care of before it got worse! My hands are sliced daily at work and I’m always in the tank. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
1000% glad you went in, vibrio has been linked to necrotizing fasciitis- (flesh eating bacteria as well as other bacteria like certain staph strains). That’s were my mind went right away. Like you said you had an entry point which is all it takes sometimes.
Keep an eye on it. If it progresses at all with the antibiotics don’t hesitate to go back in. But she most likely has you covered.

Trust me I know- ICU nurse with experience in this department, and also recipient/pt with this. Not fun.

You know how to get a hold of me if you need to ask questions.

Jay
Hey thanks Jay! I trust your wisdom on this completely. so I think I can say it hasn't gotten any worse. still swollen, still red and warm but not expanding further. I can also safely say it hasn't gotten any smaller either but the other anti-inflammatory has helped.

Tonight will have been 48 hours on the antibiotics. Of a 14 day supply. One super quick question, and feel free to text if you'd rather not discuss in open forum, What is the typical time frame to see any sort of improvement in a case like this?

I'll confess a few of you guys that contacted me directly with stories of your own have definitely freaked me out a little. thinking that there is any way this could possibly not be the right antibiotic is a little unnerving I will say. I didn't even think that was a thing.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, bacteria and open wounds don’t mix brother! I cut my finger on a rock working on a neighbor’s tank. Short story: I ended up in the cardiac unit at the hospital for three days on iv antibiotics. I’m very happy you got the meds you need before something very serious happened! Take care!
That is crazy that happened to you!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back