Turtlesteve's 90 gallon reef - 1 year's progress

Turtlesteve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally felt like taking photos of my tank to document progress in a year.

Equipment is:
90 gallon glass tank + 20 gallon glass sump.
Auto topoff (dual float switches) from kalkwasser reservoir
Return pump and 2 Jebao wavemakers
Dual 150 watt heaters
UV sterilizer, gravity feed from overflow
SBReef LED 32" basic

No protein skimmer or regular dosing (other than kalk)

11/2018 (6 months):
Nov 2018.jpg

5/2019:

May 2019b.jpg

left.jpg

right.jpg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally felt like taking photos of my tank to document progress in a year.

Equipment is:
90 gallon glass tank + 20 gallon glass sump.
Auto topoff (dual float switches) from kalkwasser reservoir
Return pump and 2 Jebao wavemakers
Dual 150 watt heaters
UV sterilizer, gravity feed from overflow
SBReef LED 32" basic

No protein skimmer or regular dosing (other than kalk)

11/2018 (6 months):
Nov 2018.jpg

5/2019:

May 2019b.jpg

left.jpg

right.jpg
Looking really good!

OP
OP
T

Turtlesteve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh.....time to post an update. Unfortunately, last year I had a major tank crash while we were on vacation - precipitated by a failure of my ATO pump. The resulting spike in salinity and crash out in alkalinity (I use kalk in the topoff) killed a couple of acropora colonies....and triggered a slow but nearly complete crash of the system. There's no point in posting a picture, because the tank is mostly empty. The Tridacna maxima survived, along with a few hardy SPS, soft corals and fish. However I lost all acropora, monti caps, and most LPS. I only bother to post now, because I finally feel that things are under control again, and the system is beginning to recover.

There are always lessons learned, even after many years of experience. So, here is what I think I've learned this time:

1: First the obvious - better ATO system, tank sitter when I'm gone, etc.

2: I'm not buying more coral until I have TWO healthy reef tanks, as an insurance policy (for everything except a power outage, anyways). It's just too much to lose everything. I've had crashes before, but never before lost ~80% of my livestock in one event. The crash was pretty slow - most of the corals died 2-6 weeks in, and I feel many could have been saved if I'd had a healthy backup system to move them to. I guess I'm just happy they were not mature colonies, and that I didn't fork over the money for that homewrecker frag I wanted last year.

3. Skimmerless tanks work right up until they don't (or something like that). The system ran great without a skimmer before the crash, but I was unable to right the ship without putting a skimmer back onto the system. I struggled for several months without a skimmer, reducing feedings, regularly removing algae, and adding snails. This failed, and I had much worse algae than when I started - a mix of cyano, dinoflagellates, and hair algae. During this time, N levels increased, P was basically undetectable at the PPB level, and corals were bleached / starving. Adding the skimmer really tipped the balance, I was able to start feeding heavy again, and the surviving corals have finally stopped receding.

4. Flatworm exit is toxic to snails at the normal dose level. A little bit off topic, but worth mentioning. So I found this out because I tried using it as a 30 minute preventative dip for new snails, only to have some of them die off sporadically after several weeks. Had I only done this once I would have never blamed the FW exit, but I dipped many snails from different sources, and the problem went away when I stopped dipping them. Sorry snails, I didn't know better.

So I'll probably post a photo once the tank doesn't look so awful, but for now it's just therapeutic to try and learn from what went wrong.

Happy reefing,
Steve

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%

Back