Tuxedo urchin feeding

urchincoralfish

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 25, 2022
Messages
18
Reaction score
39
Location
Orchard Lake
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I have recently purchased a tuxedo urchin for my 32 gallon bio cube mixed reef. The problem is is that he takes like 9 hours to eat an alage wafer, and it made me worried. I was wondering if you guys thought that this was normal or not?
 
Hi all, I have recently purchased a tuxedo urchin for my 32 gallon bio cube mixed reef. The problem is is that he takes like 9 hours to eat an alage wafer, and it made me worried. I was wondering if you guys thought that this was normal or not?
Give him half next time. Did he just sit on the wafer till it was gone?
 
I dont have experience specifically with urchins but I have found that with those algae wafers, a little bit goes a LONG way. My hermits will sit and eat on them FOREVER and not even finish the piece they are working on.
 
They are mainly dark time/nocturnal feeders and diet is mainly algae., coralline, dried seaweed/nori and macroalgaes.
 
They are mainly dark time/nocturnal feeders and diet is mainly algae., coralline, dried seaweed/nori and macroalgaes.
Ok so will he just eat whatever they can find then? I’m just worried about him starving since he destroyed all of it in about 2 nights
 
Ok so will he just eat whatever they can find then? I’m just worried about him starving since he destroyed all of it in about 2 nights
Yes as they are scavengers. This also works:

1651105846026.png
 
You will be fine !! A half a algae wafer , nori, pellets ,as long as it’s algae they will eat . If your tank shows signs of natural occurring algae just cut back on the supplementation of the algae wafers so that he hunts out and keeps the tank clean of algae . Make sure though that there are no competitors for the wafers . If that’s the case put the wafers directly under it and watch to make sure it stays on top and eats it . I have three tuxedos urchins in my main tank and never fed them as when their not eating algae off the rock and back glass they much any left over nori from feeding my tangs .
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new