Tuxedo urchin good beginner echinoderm?

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is the story in my nuvo 60g I have done great with fish currently I have 16 fish (I know too many but a few will be shifted to a 125g soon) with only 1 recent addition struggling a bit but overall I have kept most of these fish for over a year at least with all growing and doing well.
With corals I have tried 4 lps frags and an sps frag and an auto top off failure combined with my diamond goby learning to put the sand on the top of the rocks killed them.
I also lost my first cleaner shrimp but I recently bought a second.
So thus I decided instead of trying more corals I had the opportunity to mix in a few cool inverts to go with my skunk cleaner shrimp which I have had for 9 days (longer than the 1st one).
I then bought a little blue tuxedo urchin that was carrying crab shells.
Was this a good invert to try?
How is there success rate compared to others?
I do feed nori to the fish so throwing a bit to them is not a problem.
Any other cool simple inverts that are not emerald crabs, hermits, snails, urchins or cleaner shrimp as I already have those?
Oh I almost forgot I have a single flower anemone that is doing ok.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO urchins are a bit outside the easy beginner group. But if your tank is a year old, it's probably ready.

I can't think of any other inverts that you can add and will be seen regularly. I have serpent stars, brittle stars and sea cucumbers, but 95% of the time I never see them.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO urchins are a bit outside the easy beginner group. But if your tank is a year old, it's probably ready.

I can't think of any other inverts that you can add and will be seen regularly. I have serpent stars, brittle stars and sea cucumbers, but 95% of the time I never see them.
I would assumed the urchin was worth a try especially since It seemed very healthy and was only $19. I am debating perhaps simply adding more flower nems if the one I have continues to do well. Then perhaps a maxima clam. Maybe pom pom crabs???

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is hitting 2 years old in December. Yes, it was a Christmas gift.

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah so urchins and inverts don’t do well with medication and they like stable parameters which I’m sure you have... tuxedo urchins are awesome they do like to pick things up though so make sure coral or anything you don’t want picked up is glued... other than that, try acquiring some cool shrimp or goby and pistol shrimp pair... starfish can be finicky so do your research, anemone crabs will love most anemones however rock flowers are pretty hostile towards everything...

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah so urchins and inverts don’t do well with medication and they like stable parameters which I’m sure you have... tuxedo urchins are awesome they do like to pick things up though so make sure coral or anything you don’t want picked up is glued... other than that, try acquiring some cool shrimp or goby and pistol shrimp pair... starfish can be finicky so do your research, anemone crabs will love most anemones however rock flowers are pretty hostile towards everything...
No more room for a shrimp goby pair just yet I have a lot of fish yet a few should get moved out soon so maybe. I probably won't attempt starfish. I don't have any corals right now as it turns out an auto top off failing on vacation is very bad for your corals...

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No more room for a shrimp goby pair just yet I have a lot of fish yet a few should get moved out soon so maybe. I probably won't attempt starfish. I don't have any corals right now as it turns out an auto top off failing on vacation is very bad for your corals...
Oh yeah very bad... what ATO? And yeah the goby shrimp combo would be once you move some fish out lol

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that): I would go with an osomolator or xp ato ive has mine for over a year no issues...
I likely will for now I have just been doing it manually trying to figure how to fix the hydrofill I honestly think it may be as simple as the sensors failing I may soak them in freshwater maybe that will help.

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I likely will for now I have just been doing it manually trying to figure how to fix the hydrofill I honestly think it may be as simple as the sensors failing I may soak them in freshwater maybe that will help.
Sometimes sensors don’t work if you can contact the manufacturer they can probably help... they use those solid graphite sensors I think?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 41 48.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 44 52.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • None.

Votes: 22 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.7%
Back