Tuxedo Urchin

  • Thread starter Thread starter DEL 707
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

DEL 707

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 6, 2024
Messages
147
Reaction score
38
Location
UK, Kent
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a big green hair algae problem, so I'm beefing up my clean up crew, among other things.

4 mexican turbo snails are already on they're way in the post, but I was chatting to my LFS today and they recommended a tuxedo urchin.

Doing a little research, they seem ideal for the job.

Would 1 be o.k in a 250l?
Is there anything I should be careful about?
 
They're a good choice. One should be fine in 250l. Probably 2 would be okay, but you may need to re-home one of them if they clear the algae too fast. Note that they may pick up frags that are not glued down and wear them as hats! I had one Purple & White Urchin that developed a taste for zoas, though. But it was not a Tuxedo. Expect the unexpected. They are entertaining!
 
Urchins are the only clean up crew I use. Snails and crabs need constant replenishment it seems. Urchins will survive for a very long time. And just a couple will replace dozens of snails. The downside is if you want coraline algae you won’t have any with urchins in your tank. I don’t particularly like the look of it covering the back glass and everything else so they work for me.
 
A pencil Urchin is a good choice.
They dont pickup much at all as opposed to others.
Pencil and pincushion
20260816_132304.jpg

Tuxedo doing its thing.
20260831_070725.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new