Twin build - 420G FOWLR & 200G Drop-off Reef Tank

Marc K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have commenced the build of two new tanks. The idea is to have one tank focused on SPS and the other on large fish such as tangs and Angelfish. The first is in place and cycling - a 420G FOWLR that as the name suggests will be fish only. The concepts for both tanks is to keep it simple and clean. I have used automation for both build designs but where possible kept it simple and not tried to over complicate it. I love technology but have found that there is a limit to the benefit of some tech in aquariums so I have resisted going all out. The aim is to only use technology that will stabilise and simplify the key aspects of this hobby. Don’t get me wrong I have got a KH Guardian to control alk in the reef tank and a Reefbot to provide improved monitoring of key parameters. I will also be utilising dosing to ensure the coral tank gets the supplements required as it grows. I am even going to utilise a refrigerated DIY setup to dose some products that require refrigeration.

Both tanks are glass build with 2 inch steel stands. This makes them heavy but much more resistant to scratching (plus in Australia this is the most common build method).

One extra thing I have done this time is to backup the circuits for the two tanks through my solar system. I have a largish LG solar battery that will power them if I get a blackout. This doesn’t happen often where I live and usually only lasts less than a few hours but it gives me some security.

So the FOWLR is in place and now cycling.The filtration is based on a large sump with a Royal Exclusiv Bubble King 250 skimmer, carbon reactor and algae reactor. It also has a Clarisea filter roll unit to help keep the water clean - I do have capacity to install filter socks at times but they wont be used continuously. I have used bio-blocks to compliment the rock in the display (which is CaribSea Life Rock) to keep it open for fish but maintain good levels of biological media. The controller is an Aquatronica which I have used now for the past 10 years. This controls the basis and monitors important things such as pH, sump levels, skimmate levels, and ATO reservoir levels. I also monitor temperature and regulate with a chiller or heater as required (mainly chiller here in Australia as summer where I live doesn’t get very cold). The tank has about 15,000G of water movement with in tank wave makers.

Lighting is currently an ATi Powermodule Hybrid but will be replaced with basic LEDs as I dont need to worry about coral growth just visual appeal and I dont need to draw so much power to achieve the look with LEDs.

My fish list is as follows:

Emperor Angel
Majestic Angel
Blue face Angel
Queen Angel
Scribbled Angel
French Angel
Gold flake Angel
Asfur Angel
Blue Ring Angel

Powder Blue Tang
Blonde Naso Tang
Orange Shoulder Tang
Dussumeri Tang
Lieutenant Tang
Achilles Tang

Niger Triggerfish
Blue Throat Triggerfish

Raccoon Butterflyfish
Pear scale Butterfly

I would really like peoples opinions on this list. The plan is to build up the tank 4-5 fish at a time. Each batch will go through TTM and then sit in QT for a further month to ensure they are feeding and no other issues show up. I have already sourced a cabinet full of medication to cover any eventuality based on what I have read through the forum and learnt over the years.

The aim for this tank is to achieve a visual active looking tank with lots of movement dominated by larger fish than I have been able to keep with corals in the past.

48BFB3F0-E42D-4049-9821-AD805F5592B3.jpeg

FOWLR tank prior to getting water

Drop off coral tank - currently being built.

The drop off tank will use a large KZ Deluxe Skimmer with a carbon reactor. I am not sure what additional filtration I will need as I plan only have a single tang in this tank and a school of Azure Damsels. I will also run a calcium reactor to manage Ca and some Mg. As above this tank will also run the KH Guardian and Reefbot. It will also have an Aquatronica unit (this one will be the touch model). I will show more once I have the tank in place and together.

I will post some more pictures when I get home (I am away for work right now) and will try to maintain this tank journal as best I can. I will also get some photos of my QT setup as well. I would love feedback and comments especially on the fish list.

Thanks and welcome along on my new fish tank journey.

Last edited:

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude this is great! I often dream about a large FOWLR. my dream set up would be a few large angels a cpl dwarfs, butterflies and tangs.

I think now days alot of people poo poo FOWLR tanks in favor of reefs. I get it I really do but a well set up and cared for fish only tank can really be something!

I am no expert in large angels maybe someone that is will chime in. but that does seem alot of them but maybe that is good?? maybe it will keep aggression down?

the french angels get huge and only looks OK I think there are better fish IMHO I would add a wrasse or two like the tusk and red coris.

I also think a puffer is a must have in a fish only again this is just my preference tho. I fancy the porcupines they remind me of puppies. :D

also agree a cheaper lighting would do the trick.
I am surprised the regal angel is not on the list? or is that going in the reef tank?

post some more pics when you get a chance I am excited for these 2 tanks to come together!

OP
OP
Marc K

Marc K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback. Some interesting fish to think about including the wrasse. As far as the list of angelfish it is still a bit dynamic and I have had the same thoughts regarding the French Angelfish.

I didn’t include a Regal due to the potential difficulty in keeping one. Maybe at a later stage I may consider one but I am just cautious.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback. Some interesting fish to think about including the wrasse. As far as the list of angelfish it is still a bit dynamic and I have had the same thoughts regarding the French Angelfish.

I didn’t include a Regal due to the potential difficulty in keeping one. Maybe at a later stage I may consider one but I am just cautious.

yeah I do hear they can be a pain to get eating, I think the trick is getting one that is eating half the battle won right there! easier said that done tho eh?

I like the scape aswel you did a great job!
have a pic now that it's full?

odd how excited I am about your tank...hmmm maybe I need a large FOWLR in my life OR it's refreshing to see something different. guess it's both...haha

great Idea do have both. I tried but got the no. lost the battle only to win the war :)

OP
OP
Marc K

Marc K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I do hear they can be a pain to get eating, I think the trick is getting one that is eating half the battle won right there! easier said that done tho eh?

I like the scape aswel you did a great job!
have a pic now that it's full?

odd how excited I am about your tank...hmmm maybe I need a large FOWLR in my life OR it's refreshing to see something different. guess it's both...haha

great Idea do have both. I tried but got the no. lost the battle only to win the war :)

Thanks I worked hard to get the aqua scrape open but tall. I used CaribSea shapes and Aquaforest cement (which is awesome to use).

I will post some more pics with water when I get home on Friday.

OP
OP
Marc K

Marc K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a few new photos of the FOWLR tank and the QT setup in the garage. It’s all a little messy but its also early days. Ordered the first few fish - orange shoulder tang, Lieutenant tang and a convict tang.

6A956775-6F19-47E1-A021-7DEE3AB7546C.jpeg
C0D0EB08-E79B-4709-AF39-CB0AFF9DCB6A.jpeg
E0C88A54-5FD3-421A-A44A-9DDDF786CB56.jpeg
4CCE93EA-9E3E-47B1-9C4D-F3FE976B627C.jpeg
5BB66AB9-AA5F-4893-A2F3-0635C16E502F.jpeg
6D3BFAD8-CECD-47C3-992D-D568D0ECBD41.jpeg
F1F064FA-C329-4500-BDEE-A903B335CAD5.jpeg
DB88336F-0327-41A7-91C2-5EAD73106C5E.jpeg

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking good! how the tank/fish doing now? maybe I missed it but what are the dems. of the FOWLR? 420 is a nice nice tank. I am playing around with the idea of a plywood tank in the 420 - 1000 gal range but I might go smaller to have glass??

how did the fish do with your QT TTM?

OP
OP
Marc K

Marc K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is going well. The increased bioload is causing some minor algae on the glass bottom but I expect once things settle I will see an improvement. The plan will be to add some substrate once things are balanced. I did have to put a UV on to manage some bacterial bloom I had. Nothing major but just annoying.

the fish have all gone through TTM and it has gone very well. They have also been treated with prazi. I currently have another group of fish at various stages of QT including:

Goldflake angelfish
Pair of blue throat triggers
Niger trigger
China wrasse
Spanish hogfish
Bicolour angelfish
Coral beauty
Dussi tang
Lavender tang
Flagfin angelfish
Dusky butterflyfish

the tank will be rather full. I have a second large skimmer by korallen zucht I can add if needed but hopefully the RE Bubbleking will do the job.

the tank is just under 8 feet long and is 3 feet wide and 3 feet tall. Glass is the only real way to build aquariums in Australia. It is very very rare to see an acrylic tank.

I have posted a video. Sorry for quality but hopefully gives you some idea of the current stock and state of the tank. I will try to get some better video when it is darker.

Last edited:

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is going well. The increased bioload is causing some minor algae on the glass bottom but I expect once things settle I will see an improvement. The plan will be to add some substrate once things are balanced. I did have to put a UV on to manage some bacterial bloom I had. Nothing major but just annoying.

the fish have all gone through TTM and it has gone very well. They have also been treated with prazi. I currently have another group of fish at various stages of QT including:

Goldflake angelfish
Pair of blue throat triggers
Niger trigger
China wrasse
Spanish hogfish
Bicolour angelfish
Coral beauty
Dussi tang
Lavender tang
Flagfin angelfish
Dusky butterflyfish

the tank will be rather full. I have a second large skimmer by korallen zucht I can add if needed but hopefully the RE Bubbleking will do the job.

the tank is just under 8 feet long and is 3 feet wide and 3 feet tall. Glass is the only real way to build aquariums in Australia. It is very very rare to see an acrylic tank.

I have posted a video. Sorry for quality but hopefully gives you some idea of the current stock and state of the tank. I will try to get some better video when it is darker.

tank is looking good gonna be even better once to add the sand. I love a good sand bed but the challenge is keeping it clean...not the best at that.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back