two blue star leopard wrasse's in the same tank?

OpenOcean33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys like the title says can two blue star leopard wrasse's be okay in the same tank, or will they show aggression to each other? I have had one in my tank for about 1 year now. I would like to add another but afraid it may be to late?

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys like the title says can two blue star leopard wrasse's be okay in the same tank, or will they show aggression to each other? I have had one in my tank for about 1 year now. I would like to add another but afraid it may be to late?
Depends. How big is the tank and is the one you have had for awhile a male? How big is the current fish and how big is the fish you plan to add?

Seamore2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept two leopard wrasse (M. meleagris) in a 50 for over a year with zero issues. They came to me from another reefer who I believe acquired them both at the same time for his tank. Both were females.

Agree with @EvanDeVita that size of tank and sex of the first one will be important in determining compatibility. What I don't know is whether the first will be territorial even if it's still a female. Would imagine @evolved could clear that question up for you.

OP
OP
O

OpenOcean33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends. How big is the tank and is the one you have had for awhile a male? How big is the current fish and how big is the fish you plan to add?
My current fish is female, i have a 70-gallon red sea max e 260 . I have plenty of rockwork for hiding, and i would say the new fish would be half the size. My current wrasse shows 0 interest in any other fish in the aquarium and just likes to swim the currents and peck the rocks.

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current fish is female, i have a 70-gallon red sea max e 260 . I have plenty of rockwork for hiding, and i would say the new fish would be half the size. My current wrasse shows 0 interest in any other fish in the aquarium and just likes to swim the currents and peck the rocks.
You’ll be fine adding another. I gotta tell you though that leopard wrasse get large. I’ve seen a huge Melagaris at my LFS that looks too big for a 120 gallon. They are slow growers tho.

OP
OP
O

OpenOcean33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll be fine adding another. I gotta tell you though that leopard wrasse get large. I’ve seen a huge Melagaris at my LFS that looks too big for a 120 gallon. They are slow growers tho.
Thats good to know, I do intend to upgrade my tank to a 130, but that will not be for at least 3 years. I am also someone that likes to keep my fish and not just switch them out if they get to big. I am more of a fish guy than a coral guy.

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats good to know, I do intend to upgrade my tank to a 130, but that will not be for at least 3 years. I am also someone that likes to keep my fish and not just switch them out if they get to big. I am more of a fish guy than a coral guy.
That’s good. Like I said before they are really slow growers (unless one becomes a male and then idk what happens). I’ve had one for 6 months and I don’t thinks it’s grown at all.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back