Two Clam IDs from LFS

halperin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS said the first was a squammy and second a maxima.

OP
OP
H

halperin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can u tell if its a Tahitian maxima vs whatever other kind there are? Which type of maxima requires the least light?

Why wouldn't you pay too much for the first clam. What's wrong with it?

jzaso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really can not tell from those pics-need to look @ valve shape symetery to hing -incurrent excurrent siphon scutes, for proper ID first one could be a squamosa 2nd could be a crocea-maricultured croceas will have scuting wild typicaly not

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with jzaso ^above^ but most likely what was stated in being T. derasa and T. maxima.

A bit on lighting for these Clams in general is that they host some of the same zoox as Macro algae and rely much more on the Red 625-670nm spectrum than Corals do. So many tanks nowadays are lit with fixtures lacking in this spectrum from LED's to 20K MH that especially for Clams coming in shipping stressed and placing them under light they get little energy from can be damaging or even fatal.

Cheers, Todd

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with jzaso ^above^ but most likely what was stated in being T. derasa and T. maxima.

A bit on lighting for these Clams in general is that they host some of the same zoox as Macro algae and rely much more on the Red 625-670nm spectrum than Corals do. So many tanks nowadays are lit with fixtures lacking in this spectrum from LED's to 20K MH that especially for Clams coming in shipping stressed and placing them under light they get little energy from can be damaging or even fatal.

Cheers, Todd

Interesting! I had not heard that about the reliance on red spectrum. Do you have sources you can link? I have read quite a bit of literature about giant clams and must have missed it.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll see what I can dig back up on it. I came across it in a off-hand way where article was stating the the Giant Clams tested had significant amounts of Chlorophyll B which is primarily associated with terrestrial plants. As an experiment I have placed a new smaller Gold 2" T. maxima in my Frag Tank directly under a Red emitter and seems quite 'Happy' and looks pretty good to.

Cheers, Todd

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll see what I can dig back up on it. I came across it in a off-hand way where article was stating the the Giant Clams tested had significant amounts of Chlorophyll B which is primarily associated with terrestrial plants. As an experiment I have placed a new smaller Gold 2" T. maxima in my Frag Tank directly under a Red emitter and seems quite 'Happy' and looks pretty good to.

Cheers, Todd

Thanks! I dug around for a while and looked at around a dozen papers but couldn't find anything on it, or even specific species of Symbiodinium found in giant clams. This is interesting though, I have had two large blue maximas over the years, no idea if they are Tahitian, and no reason to believe they were, but after buying from the LFS both of their mantles darkened significantly. Not in a bad way, they became more intense, and very notably so. They both lived and grew well, I still have one, the other was wiped out when I stupidly didn't QT and got some sort of clam infection that killed all my clams in that system. Both under 350-500 PAR led lights. I wonder if the intensity change is a shift in population due to what you wrote above. Interesting.

jzaso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
James W Fatherree, has a great book on giant clams and how to properly ID -a good read for the clam keepers

Rydogg420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can u tell if its a Tahitian maxima vs whatever other kind there are? Which type of maxima requires the least light?

Why wouldn't you pay too much for the first clam. What's wrong with it?

Nothing wrong with it at all. I was just saying if you weren't sure what it was and he sold it as something else, it might have been more money then it should have or the other way around. Usually it costs more money then it's worth if it's being sold as the wrong species.. that's all. I've seen a lot of people pay too much for things when they thought it was something else or sold as the wrong species. Zoas are a very good example of that. Lol.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back