two diamond gobies?

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I really want my sand bed to be clean all the time and I love how my one diamond goby cleans, however he is not enough to keep up with my 180 gallon display tank.

Can I add another one? The one I have currently is pretty small, I am hoping to add a large one.

If I cannot add another diamond goby, what are some other sand filtering gobies you guys recommend?

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want my sand bed to be clean all the time and I love how my one diamond goby cleans, however he is not enough to keep up with my 180 gallon display tank.

Can I add another one? The one I have currently is pretty small, I am hoping to add a large one.

If I cannot add another diamond goby, what are some other sand filtering gobies you guys recommend?

From LiveAquaria:

"It rarely becomes aggressive towards other fish, but is territorial, and will fight with its own kind unless they are a mated pair."

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/220/diamond-watchman-goby?pcatid=220&c=31+220

I am sure people have kept more than one. It might depend on how much real estate you have for each one and the available food. Fish with full stomachs fight less than hungry ones.

OP
OP
CoralWealth

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
From LiveAquaria:

"It rarely becomes aggressive towards other fish, but is territorial, and will fight with its own kind unless they are a mated pair."

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/220/diamond-watchman-goby?pcatid=220&c=31+220

I am sure people have kept more than one. It might depend on how much real estate you have for each one and the available food. Fish with full stomachs fight less than hungry ones.

Thanks!

Yeah I saw that but wasnt sure how to find a "pair" if that just meant having one a lot larger then the other or how to go about it. I have a ton of room in the 180 gallon as most of my live rock is off the ground.

tank.jpg

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

Yeah I saw that but wasnt sure how to find a "pair" if that just meant having one a lot larger then the other or how to go about it. I have a ton of room in the 180 gallon as most of my live rock is off the ground.

tank.jpg

1) Beautiful tank.

2) The problem with a larger one and a smaller one could be that the larger one just dominates the smaller one and it dies. You could always add a similar sized one, and hope they work it out and grow together. At least one wouldn't be so much larger and stronger to kill the smaller one.

OP
OP
CoralWealth

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
1) Beautiful tank.

2) The problem with a larger one and a smaller one could be that the larger one just dominates the smaller one and it dies. You could always add a similar sized one, and hope they work it out and grow together. At least one wouldn't be so much larger and stronger to kill the smaller one.
Thank you! I just wish my sand was always as white as that picture, only is when I blow it haha.

I think I may try to add one and if it doesnt work, just move it to my FLOWR if I can catch him. I just dont want to torture the fish

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine barely maintains (or spends time in) half of my 135 gal. He used to live on the West side. Now he’s only on the right and occasionally in the middle.

I’m pretty sure you could keep two in there at the same time (maybe more). I had a yellow sand sifter goby and he used to sleep in the same hole as my diamond goby.

One thing. When my diamond goby goes to work, he can really stir up the sand and cloud the water. I would imagine with two in there, it’s really going to cloud up unless your sand is already very clean, of quite “young” and free of very small fines and dust.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I just wish my sand was always as white as that picture, only is when I blow it haha.

I think I may try to add one and if it doesnt work, just move it to my FLOWR if I can catch him. I just dont want to torture the fish

I hear you completely I HATE when my sand is dirty and its so very hard to keep looking nice and clean all the time.

Although mine have become lazy, you could also try and add some Nassarius snails. They keep to the sandbed and wiggle around it could aid to keep the sand clean as well as the Diamond.

OP
OP
CoralWealth

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I hear you completely I HATE when my sand is dirty and its so very hard to keep looking nice and clean all the time.

Although mine have become lazy, you could also try and add some Nassarius snails. They keep to the sandbed and wiggle around it could aid to keep the sand clean as well as the Diamond.

I have tried nassarius, I honestly think they are pointless. at least they have for me when I added them.

OP
OP
CoralWealth

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Mine barely maintains (or spends time in) half of my 135 gal. He used to live on the West side. Now he’s only on the right and occasionally in the middle.

I’m pretty sure you could keep two in there at the same time (maybe more). I had a yellow sand sifter goby and he used to sleep in the same hole as my diamond goby.

One thing. When my diamond goby goes to work, he can really stir up the sand and cloud the water. I would imagine with two in there, it’s really going to cloud up unless your sand is already very clean, of quite “young” and free of very small fines and dust.

That is exactly what I was thinking about either pairing together or just keeping their distance in my tank. I like when my diamond now digs up the sand, and so do my SPS haha. the PE extends a lot

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried nassarius, I honestly think they are pointless. at least they have for me when I added them.

Ya I agree, I am dissapointed with their motivation as well. Snails in general seem to loose their drive to feed and clean your tank it seems like... maybe need to change it up and go with crabs haha.

OP
OP
CoralWealth

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ya I agree, I am dissapointed with their motivation as well. Snails in general seem to loose their drive to feed and clean your tank it seems like... maybe need to change it up and go with crabs haha.

I LOVE my turbo snails, they do so much work. Especially when the lights go off. I thought maybe nassarius snails would be the same but I added a lot and never noticed them or a difference so I gave up on them.

I am most likely going to give adding another diamond goby a try.

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also interested in this as my Diamond Goby does a great job on about half the tank, so I'd love to add another if possible...

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I LOVE my turbo snails, they do so much work. Especially when the lights go off. I thought maybe nassarius snails would be the same but I added a lot and never noticed them or a difference so I gave up on them.

I am most likely going to give adding another diamond goby a try.

My turbo's are awesome but some have gotten too large and died. I have LR that has isn't exactly flat and they have a hard time getting around so some have died lol.

PaulieS210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a second diamond to my 210 gallon tank. The new one is much smaller. He seems to be doing well after two weeks. He did try to jump ship and I found him in my filter sock after a day or so of being MIA. He started digging his holes within 9 inches of my much larger diamond though. They don't seem to be fighting at all, but my sand is still not being cleaned as I hoped.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two in my 210 no problems other than my huma huma trying to eat them when he sees them. They dart back into their homes. Sand not near clean either probably because being afraid to come out. Added both at the same time same size.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back