Two heads of Hammer acting very different

Reefer-Al

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there,

Relatively new to keeping reef tanks. I purchased a few weeks back this hammer coral. It looks like one piece that's branched into two heads. They both used to look great with their tentacles reaching out nicely. Now they both look some what retracted, the one on the right extremely so.

Any guesses as to what's going on here?
1000007349.jpg

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there,

Relatively new to keeping reef tanks. I purchased a few weeks back this hammer coral. It looks like one piece that's branched into two heads. They both used to look great with their tentacles reaching out nicely. Now they both look some what retracted, the one on the right extremely so.

1000007349.jpg
Could be something minor, irritating, it possibly it should come back to its former glory imo

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey there,

1000007349.jpg
have you changed light or flow?
If not, assure calcium is not below 400, Phosphate has Not become elevated and salinity has not dropped. Look closely at skeletal base for any white bugs or nudibranch and feed mysis shrimp, not powdered foods

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Reefer-Al

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you changed light or flow?
If not, assure calcium is not below 400, Phosphate has Not become elevated and salinity has not dropped. Look closely at skeletal base for any white bugs or nudibranch and feed mysis shrimp, not powdered foods
Ahh well, in fact I did raise the hammer from nearly the sand bed to about half way up the tank. I guess that about quadrupled the light it's getting. I've also been using reef roids. Guess I should stop that and switch to mysis

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%

Back