Two in two days...

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the room, consider a refugium with chaetomorpha as a means of nutrient export.

You tank, thought it's contents are not young, is still young and quite possible that the previous owner had elevated nutrients. The rock is most likely the source. It may take some time for it to leach out. Especially the P04.

OP
OP
OA3B

OA3B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be trying to find where
the no3 and po4 coming from. Did you reuse the sand when you took over this tank?

Yeah, I kept the sand and rocks. When I brought the tank to my home. The next few days I had it back running.

If you have the room, consider a refugium with chaetomorpha as a means of nutrient export.

You tank, thought it's contents are not young, is still young and quite possible that the previous owner had elevated nutrients. The rock is most likely the source. It may take some time for it to leach out. Especially the P04.

There’s a sump with a refugium that came with the setup. I have tried the chaeto but it did not grow at all. The DT was out competing it. I was thinking once I get the DT under control, then I would add some form of macro algae.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I kept the sand and rocks. When I brought the tank to my home. The next few days I had it back running.

There’s a sump with a refugium that came with the setup. I have tried the chaeto but it did not grow at all. The DT was out competing it. I was thinking once I get the DT under control, then I would add some form of macro algae.

You have enough nutrients for chaetomorpha to grow.

My tank typically has 30-40 ppm of N03 and 0.10 P04. I pull out a gallon of chaetomorpha each month.

IMG_20190307_202128.jpg

DSC_0163.JPG

EmptyWallet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the photos, lack of live rock is certainly not your problem (lol). I'm a huge fan of NoPox for nitrates and never had an issue (as pointed out you have to be skimming when you use it) with corals, delicate fish, invests, sponges, macro algae etc. Doesn't seem to do much with Phosphate though. NoPox + GFO + Chaeto (with a kessil h380) is a knockout combo - I struggle to elevate either nitrate or phosphate above zero - my cross to bear...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back