Two part dosing containers

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im just sharing my experience. I advised to measure consumption and treat each parameter separately. This was my intention.

Yes, but you only shared part of your experience, making interpretation impossible. The whole reason two part systems were invented was to avoid the need to measure calcium frequently, and potentially avoid problems with imprecise calcium tests causing dosing roller coasters.

My reason for pressing is that quite a few folks have come online to make claims about not having 1:1 demand, but when we tease it apart, it turns out there was some simple explanation that didn't really come from demand being different than 1:1. Doser pump differences, using the wrong recipes or dilutions, not 1:1 products, not tracking calcium long enough to even detect whether 1:1 applies, etc.

Hence, if someone makes an extraordinary claim (10:1 dosing is best in your system), I think that a little more info is justified.

At your 10:1 claim for a 1:1 product, you MUST be dosing either very little alkalinity or a massive amount of calcium.

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't worked out how much more calc I use than alk but its quite substantial. 10x was just me plucking a number. I wasn't advising him to go with my numbers. I was just saying that the 1:1 rule didnt work for me so he is best to measure consumption and dose according to consumption, indevidually. I don't need to explain my entire experience to advice this. This forum has been fantastic in helping me and I'm trying to give back with advice which I would have liked to received when I was in the same situation. To simple take the 1:1 rule with a pinch of salt.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I won't keep pushing, but for your own reef benefit, I'd suggest trying to find out why this is the case for you tank and potentially make some changes if warranted. You are missing some the benefits of the other elements in the ATI product if you are dosing them so off of the intended recipe.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back