Two Parts dosing at night

horseplay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank PH ranges from 7.9 just before the light turns on to 8.2 when the lights are turned off. The tank consumes about 1dkh per day. At the moment I mostly dose during the day but I am thinking whether I should dose mostly at night to keep the ph up. I know people do this with Kalkwasser to keep the ph up at night. I have no idea when corals consume two parts to build skeletons. Does this mostly happen during the day or night or at the same rate all day? I heard kids grow taller when sleeping LOL.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes most of your alk is consumed when the lights are on. I dose around 150ml of alk supplement daily and only 7ml of that is dosed overnight to keep my alk stable.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it makes sense for the ph boost at night. I was doing it that way at least.. Recently ran the skimmer line outside though and my ph overnight is steady 8.2 (RS kit). So now I don't know when to dose ;)

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion your alk stability is more important than your pH. Especially since the OP’s pH is still not that low at night.
I increased my night time pH with a refugium and it helped considerably.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the recommended alk swing in a day? For some reason I have .5 in my head. So if 1 dkh was being dosed for, then I would spread it out over the course of the day; not all at once. And then in that case night/day isn't really as relevant I suppose

Edit: not swing, I don't think that's the right word, fluctuation perhaps is better

OP
OP
H

horseplay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I should just measure the ALK every hour for 24 hours once just to check. Some of your Trident users might have done this already. Maybe dose the same amount every hour also.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion your alk stability is more important than your pH. Especially since the OP’s pH is still not that low at night.
I increased my night time pH with a refugium and it helped considerably.
I think you're right. I've only focused on raising ph for the past week or so trying to get rid of some dinos on the sandbed. Seems to be having an affect...

OP
OP
H

horseplay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started to realize I don't know much as I found this thread and it's hard to follow.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's BRS soda ash.
Okay, that's sodium carbonate which would slightly raise pH temporarily when added.
I started to realize I don't know much as I found this thread and it's hard to follow.

Most of us don't know much chemistry compared to Randy :p

OP
OP
H

horseplay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's only going to raise PH temporarily then I might as well trying to dose during the day to keep the ALK stable.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're right. I've only focused on raising ph for the past week or so trying to get rid of some dinos on the sandbed. Seems to be having an affect...
I have been there chasing pH also. For me an outside airline, a co2 scrubber, running a refugium at night, and mixing my sodium carbonate solution with a sodium hydroxide solution was my fix. I went from a range of 7.9-8.2 and now I’m at 8.2-8.6, but I was able to do it while keeping all of my alk readings for a day within about .1dKh.
Like mine used to be the OPs ph range isn’t an issue. The acceptable alk swing in a day I’ve heard is .5 and I’ve heard 1. I’m not sure which but like most things in the hobby the more stable the better, and I would prioritize it over slightly higher pH range.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's only going to raise PH temporarily then I might as well trying to dose during the day to keep the ALK stable.
I'm not sure how that necessarily follows, since the temporary effect will be at night when pH is lowest, but some folks do opt to daytime dosing to match when demand for alk is highest, even with lower pH at night.

OP
OP
H

horseplay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how that necessarily follows, since the temporary effect will be at night when pH is lowest, but some folks do opt to daytime dosing to match when demand for alk is highest, even with lower pH at night.
I do dose at daytime. What I see this morning is when I dose 20ml the ph went up from 7.93 to 7.99 then drops back to 7.96 and stayed there in about 10 mins. (I dose from the other end of the sump so the water has to go through the tank before reaching the ph probe).

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do dose at daytime. What I see this morning is when I dose 20ml the ph went up from 7.93 to 7.99 then drops back to 7.96 and stayed there in about 10 mins. (I dose from the other end of the sump so the water has to go through the tank before reaching the ph probe).
If you are wanting to get a bigger pH boost with your alk supplement Randy has a recipe for making a supplement from sodium hydroxide (lye) that per dKh added gives the same boost as kalk. I mix it and my sodium carbonate solution to dose my tank. But as you already know it’s only going to boost it while dosing and if mostly dosing during the day may increase the amount of your pH swing.

OP
OP
H

horseplay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are wanting to get a bigger pH boost with your alk supplement Randy has a recipe for making a supplement from sodium hydroxide (lye) that per dKh added gives the same boost as kalk. I mix it and my sodium carbonate solution to dose my tank. But as you already know it’s only going to boost it while dosing and if mostly dosing during the day may increase the amount of your pH swing.
Thanks I will look into that.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I will look into that.
Here is a thread he started about it. I only mix it with my other supplement because alone the pH is really high and would probably raise my pH too much. If you decide to use it just be careful since you are dealing with a strong base.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Adding 1.4 dKH of alk via carbonate will instantly boost the pH by about 0.35 pH units. Using hydroxide, the boost is about double that value, or 0.7 pH units.

How fast, and if, it drops back depends on the CO2 in the air and the extent of aeration.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back