Two pieces failed badly

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running a Nicrew Hyper reef 30 over my sump for a few years. Now water reaches it. But yesterday it started smoking and I was lucky to be home.
Secondly with the new light on the sump I saw a heater sticking straight up. Somehow the cover for this heater separated. I felt pain in the cuts on my hand which sometimes comes from the saltwater. But no it was this heater that separated with no help. Its in the center of the sump.
IMG_0276.jpeg

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you asking or telling?

What do you mean by "now water reaches it?" - Does that mean that the light got wet, shorted out, and nearly caused a fire?

You're feeling stray voltage in your cuts on your hands. You need to find the source of that voltage. It sounds like you may have already found the source in a bad heater.

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you asking or telling?

What do you mean by "now water reaches it?" - Does that mean that the light got wet, shorted out, and nearly caused a fire?

You're feeling stray voltage in your cuts on your hands. You need to find the source of that voltage. It sounds like you may have already found the source in a bad heater.
Sorry if I was unclear. I was simply reporting. When I said no water reaches it I meant that now water splash gets on it. Although possibly some bubbler splash could have gotten on the underneath quite awhile back. But it was smoking. Then even more strange this heater the whole outside sheath separated and is floating in the sump. The inside of the heatet was touching the water and putting voltage into it. I unplugged it and obviously won't be using it.

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to post. This was the heater. An older model. A stealth. When I put it into the sump it was intact. One day the outer black sleeve separated. Current was flowing directly into the water. It amazing nothing was killed. I don't know how long it was like that before I noticed.
IMG_0522.jpeg
IMG_0523.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back