Two randomly dead angelfish

scubasteve020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello , I came home today to both my coral beauty and angel fish dead. They never fought would only chase away each other during feeding. they have been together for months. I have two clown fish and a blue spotted toby puffer left. Only change that happened lately was after a water change a few days ago I took out my carbon reactor and turned off the protein skimmer. I had dosed reef flux to get rid of some bryopsis that was in my sump. Two speed it up I did another dose of reflux which the directions said to do for faster results. I checked my phosphates and they were at .04 which should be fine and my nitrates were at a 0. No ammonia and all other levels normal. I did find both angel fish dead on the same side of the tank. The puffer was on a rock on the other side of the tank looked like it was hyperventilating. I did an emergency 20% change and the puffer is fine and swimming around and eating. Any ideas of why just the two angel fish died ????

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like possibly a lack of oxygen or something contaminated the tank. Or, they responded poorly to the fluconazole dosing; Angelfish are more sensitive than clownfish to changes in water parameters.

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 lack of oxygen. Cutting your skimmer off decreased your h20 and adding in meds probably stressed the fish as well. Get the skimmer back up or way more flow with surface agitation. Sorry about your fish! Try Vibrant, it's amazing, no need to turn off skimmer.

OP
OP
scubasteve020

scubasteve020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After doing the emergency water change and turning the skimmer back on the fish seem back to normal. I did however still had plenty of flow with my vectra and vortech so I thought it would still have enough oxygen but the depletion of O2 totally didn't cross my mind. . I was a little iffy about turning off the skimmer but now I know for the future. Thanks everyone !

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back