Two Return Pumps

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short. I’m considering running 2 return pumps (COR-15). I’m also considering just scrapping the idea and running a COR-20 with independent power supply.

anhyoo. Can one of you geniuses of programming, gods of Neptune, help me with how to program two COR-15 pumps so they both run at 50% but if one gives an error, the other jumps to 100%?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the size of your tank and are you connecting separate returns to each COR15? And yes, you can program the COR15 pumps for redudancy. You'll want to look at something along these lines to give you a few ideas. You can also reference errors on the COR15s, but I'm not sure if you can act on the individual error types or if it's just a general error flag. @SuncrestReef is the resident Neptune expert.

Core15_2_1 Configuration
Set ON
Fallback 50
If Output COR_2_1 Percent = 0 Then OFF
If Output COR_2_2 Percent = 0 Then 100

Core15_2_2 Configuration
Set ON
Fallback 50
If Output COR_2_2 Percent = 0 Then OFF
If Output COR_2_1 Percent = 0 Then 100

The COR user guide might offer some additional help.

OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the size of your tank and are you connecting separate returns to each COR15? And yes, you can program the COR15 pumps for redudancy. You'll want to look at something along these lines to give you a few ideas. You can also reference errors on the COR15s, but I'm not sure if you can act on the individual error types or if it's just a general error flag. @SuncrestReef is the resident Neptune expert.

Core15_2_1 Configuration
Set ON
Fallback 50

Core15_2_2 Configuration
Set ON
Fallback 50

Tank is a 120g NUVO all-in-one. It originally came with 3 return pumps and it has “plumbing” for 3 but I run one pump- currently a COR-15. I’d have to check but probably at a “real” 80% total output. I just lost another EB832 (this time the DC ports) while I was on vacation which lead to a “volt” error on my pump. So, I’m thinking to use 2, 1Links each connected to a separate pump for redundancy (the 1Links will have other things connected too). If one power supply/1link drops, oh well. I’m safe.

I have 2 COR-15 pumps (one running and a shelved backup) so this is the cheapest option- especially since I have to replace an EB832 already and I own a 1link.

I just don’t trust the EB832’s.

I’m also considering running 1, COR-20 based on advice here but from what I can read the power supplies on those are really bad.

OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the COR20s will be overkill for your setup. I run a single Sicce SDC 9.0 on my 200-gallon system @45%.
It would be overkill but it could be turned down.

I think having an independent power supply is why people like the COR-20. The COR-15 and COR-20 have the exact same footprint.

After turning towards the 20 and doing some research, the COR-20 apparently has a big issue with their powerbricks dying. It’s the #1 complaint and it seems to be common. So I’m not sure that’s the solution.

I’m waiting on the 1link module, and a new EB832 (and replacement parts for the 2 that died) and I think I’m going with 2 COR-15’s.

I reached out to Neptune and they offered to schedule a call to program it so they run 50/50 but if one errors out, the other will run at 100.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be overkill but it could be turned down.

I think having an independent power supply is why people like the COR-20. The COR-15 and COR-20 have the exact same footprint.

After turning towards the 20 and doing some research, the COR-20 apparently has a big issue with their powerbricks dying. It’s the #1 complaint and it seems to be common. So I’m not sure that’s the solution.

I’m waiting on the 1link module, and a new EB832 (and replacement parts for the 2 that died) and I think I’m going with 2 COR-15’s.

I reached out to Neptune and they offered to schedule a call to program it so they run 50/50 but if one errors out, the other will run at 100.
True. I think the COR15s are great if you're lacking power outlets - as you can run them with a single 1LINK. The COR20s need both power and AquaBUS connection. If you're not keen on Neptune pumps, I might suggest the Sicce SDC 6.0 pumps instead. They're wireless and you can run/control them through the Neptune just like the COR15/20 through IOTA. Plus they have a 5-year warranty and these things are absolute workhorses. The Neptune programming schedule can probably be implemented for the Sicce pumps as well.

Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, my PS for the COR20 die too. The solution, a replacement from Amazon that probably is of the same or better quality and not even half of the cost. Now the PS last 3 years before the failure. Still is cheaper to replace a PS ($20-$30) than to replaced a EB832 ($289.95) or the 1LINK ($159.95). Also I keep multiple PS as spare in case it happens so I can have the tank running in no time.

But to be honest at this point if you have the COR15, just do something that can make them works.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I run 2 Sicce SDC 7.0s on my 250g peninsula and they are fantastic! 5 year warranty as well on them.

It might already be there but at some point they will be fully Apex compatible with no added modules or cords.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120RR and run 2 Cor 20 pumps for returns. One of them runs a manifold to supply a reactor, UV, etc. I also have a Cor15 running my skimmer. If you want 2 pumps that go direct from sump to tank at 100% then Cor20 may be too much. Top of my tank is at 6 feet so I have some head pressure loss.

OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2 Sicce SDC 7.0s on my 250g peninsula and they are fantastic! 5 year warranty as well on them.

It might already be there but at some point they will be fully Apex compatible with no added modules or cords.
I see they can be integrated but I like seeing the RPM and temp on the COR pumps to see if a problem is developing (or they need cleaning).

Neptune quality is hit or miss but these pumps are crazy overbuilt. They eat nassarius snail shells like butter.

I have had good luck with Sicce products in the past but the integration (for me) is just too valuable on the Neptunes

I also have an EERO network and it hates 2.4ghz devices (the sicce pumps too I’m sure).

OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, my PS for the COR20 die too. The solution, a replacement from Amazon that probably is of the same or better quality and not even half of the cost. Now the PS last 3 years before the failure. Still is cheaper to replace a PS ($20-$30) than to replaced a EB832 ($289.95) or the 1LINK ($159.95). Also I keep multiple PS as spare in case it happens so I can have the tank running in no time.

But to be honest at this point if you have the COR15, just do something that can make them works.
my issue is that these things always break while I’m away. The actual repair took 2 minutes to get the pump running again. Luckily I knew I’d be home in 8 hours or so. If I was on a boat in the mid-Atlantic I would have come home to a dead tank.

I’m going to run the 1Links which I’ve never had an issue with and split the return pumps and all my dosing pumps and things across two 1link devices and a new EB832.

I’m going to upgrade the buck converters in the EB832 before I instaltoo.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Core15_2_1 Configuration
Set ON
Fallback 50

Core15_2_2 Configuration
Set ON
Fallback 50

You were close. This is the code OP would want.

Core15_2_1 Configuration
Set 50
Fallback 50
If Error COR_2_2 Then 100
(Feed modes and stuff)

Core15_2_2 Configuration
Set 50
Fallback 50
If Error COR_2_1 Then 100
(Feed modes and stuff)

OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You were close. This is the code OP would want.

Core15_2_1 Configuration
Set 50
Fallback 50
(Feed modes and stuff)

Core15_2_2 Configuration
Set 50
Fallback 50
If Error COR_2_1 Then 100
(Feed modes and stuff)
This is for posterity.

this code is correct and functional except for:

Per Vincent Huang of Neptune Systems, if error statements can only end in on/off

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On thing or bonus feature if you will by running the same pump or same family of pumps that use the same fittings is the hot swap and movement should one encounter an error. In the case of the OP's post and Neptune Cor's you are set and it checks this box.

I run similar:

1 x Cor 15 return, EB832 primary
1 x Cor 15 skimmer, EB832 secondary
1 x Cor 20 return, outlet/circuit outside of display (this return is the longest line and includes refugium)

I run both returns anywhere from 50 to 70 percent and nothing really fancy outside feed modes. I've found it is easy to clean them also as I start with the skimmer, clean it up, then swap out a return pump, clean that one, swap the next out, clean, and finally bring skimmer back online. I've also tried some fancy left side right side pump and return flows using virtual outlets but in the end leave them as is.

Good pumps. Built really tough. Thick body walls. Interchange between them.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back