Two spot tang in 40b

C_Donovan93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before the tang police go nuts from the title I have a fully established 180 downstairs with room for one more tang but I’m wondering how long I could keep this two spot in a 40b before I have to move him down.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s a good slow growing tang I can keep for a while because I know the two spots are fast growers and active swimmers.
I’d probably say Tomini as it remains slightly smaller IME.
Twin Spots are among the slower growing tangs but in terms of other fish aren’t actually that slow growing (I’m comparing this to my Male Genicanthus melanospilos, Chelmon rostratus and Female Black Photon Clownfish).
In my 4’x2’ tank my Twin Spot is among the most active, personally I’d prefer a 5’-6’ tank for him but he’s quite happy for now as a 3-3.5” specimen brought as a 1” specimen 2 years ago. Growth rates will also be altered depending on feeding times and amounts, potentially tank size (Although it wouldn’t affect the growth rate, instead most likely cause stunted growth).
I can try get a video of my Binotatus swimming and how active it can be if you’d like to judge for yourself whether or not you should go for a Binotatus or even a rang in general.

One note on Bristletooths, they’re all hyperactive however the smallest are Binotatus, Tominiensis, and Flavicauda. All of them are about as active as eachother, whereas Hawaiiensis and Striatus are going to be slightly more active as they’re the largest species of Ctenochaetus.

Last edited:

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen tomini tangs quarter size before. Might just have to wait for the right itty bitty tang to come along and use the 40 as an excuse to grow it out.

OP
OP
C

C_Donovan93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d probably say Tomini as it remains slightly smaller IME.
Twin Spots are among the slower growing tangs but in terms of other fish aren’t actually that slow growing (I’m comparing this to my Male Genicanthus melanospilos, Chelmon rostratus and Female Black Photon Clownfish).
In my 4’x2’ tank my Twin Spot is among the most active, personally I’d prefer a 5’-6’ tank for him but he’s quite happy for now as a 3-3.5” specimen brought as a 1” specimen 2 years ago. Growth rates will also be altered depending on feeding times and amounts, potentially tank size (Although it wouldn’t affect the growth rate, instead most likely cause stunted growth).
I can try get a video of my Binotatus swimming and how active it can be if you’d like to judge for yourself whether or not you should go for a Binotatus or even a rang in general.

One note on Bristletooths, they’re all hyperactive however the smallest are Binotatus, Tominiensis, and Flavicauda. All of them are about as active as eachother, whereas Hawaiiensis and Striatus are going to be slightly more active as they’re the largest species of Ctenochaetus.
Okay so definitely try to buy small and when he starts to become aggressive or look out of place I need to transfer to 180 asap. I have a good amount of experience with tangs also. 6in blue tang and a 5 and a half inch scopos all happy in my 180. I just really love the way the twin spot or two spot however you want to say it look. 2 years imo is plenty of time to enjoy him in my smaller tank.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not colorful, but a convict stays fairly small.

edit: and mine is a slow grower, but very active.

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen tomini tangs quarter size before. Might just have to wait for the right itty bitty tang to come along and use the 40 as an excuse to grow it out.
+1 to this, although never seen a Tomini that size but have seen Regals/Hippos at that size so do believe it’s possible to find a C. binotatus at that size.
Okay so definitely try to buy small and when he starts to become aggressive or look out of place I need to transfer to 180 asap. I have a good amount of experience with tangs also. 6in blue tang and a 5 and a half inch scopos all happy in my 180. I just really love the way the twin spot or two spot however you want to say it look. 2 years imo is plenty of time to enjoy him in my smaller tank.
That sounds like a great plan! I really do agree with the looks of the Twin/Two Spots. Mine has to be my favourite tang I’ve ever owned (And that’s saying something as I’ve owned some pretty nice looking tangs including an abberant Hippo). Here’s my biggest reason as to why I love this fish.
999F742D-710A-40B7-B453-05DA6E9B0A9C.jpeg

3291A036-F133-4BF1-B594-33F5CFDD122D.jpeg

image.jpg

And yes, these are all the exact same fish just on separate days. In the top one that’s him going after his reflection, the middle is still unknown as to why he did that and the bottom is him right now.

OP
OP
C

C_Donovan93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to this, although never seen a Tomini that size but have seen Regals/Hippos at that size so do believe it’s possible to find a C. binotatus at that size.

That sounds like a great plan! I really do agree with the looks of the Twin/Two Spots. Mine has to be my favourite tang I’ve ever owned (And that’s saying something as I’ve owned some pretty nice looking tangs including an abberant Hippo). Here’s my biggest reason as to why I love this fish.
999F742D-710A-40B7-B453-05DA6E9B0A9C.jpeg

3291A036-F133-4BF1-B594-33F5CFDD122D.jpeg

image.jpg

And yes, these are all the exact same fish just on separate days. In the top one that’s him going after his reflection, the middle is still unknown as to why he did that and the bottom is him right now.
Thank you so much, been a big help.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 54.1%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.7%
Back