Two sump design for space limited stand

Bryan Mitchell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings! I'm currently designing a system for a Tenecor 105G Hex shaped tank. Since this is my first saltwater aquarium my goal is to successfully grow soft/LPS corals.
IMG4488350471179913839.jpg
Due to the odd shape of the aquarium, my stand space is limited and I am unable to fit a 30-40 gallon sump. I received a 15 gallon sump when I bought this tank, but am playing around with a few ideas and am looking for constructive criticism. Please note the 7" sump baffle is currently removable. I understand refugiums are not a requirement, but I think they are really cool so I am trying to fit one in!

Option 1: Parallel sump and refugium with single return pump.
Slide1.JPG

Option 2: In series sump/refugium.
Slide2.JPG
Option 3: Don't get fancy, use the 15 gallon sump I have. I don't think this is the best option because most of the reading I've done suggests using a larger sump. Please set me straight if you disagree.

Option 4: Creative suggestions from R2R members.

I look forward to your thoughts,
Bryan

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20171105_183434.jpg

I had to do a dual tank sump as well. I used a bulkhead and a union to join the two tanks. Do not forget to use a union. You will at some point in time need to seperate them and a union will make that super easy.

I drilled the first tank and then lined them up and used the hole from the first one as a guide to drill the second. Worked like a champ.

Be sure to ensure that the two tanks are level to eachother and that there is no strain on the bulkheads. The glass wont take it and it will crack. Ask me how I know.

I would put them in series.

OP
OP
Bryan Mitchell

Bryan Mitchell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20171105_183434.jpg

I had to do a dual tank sump as well. I used a bulkhead and a union to join the two tanks. Do not forget to use a union. You will at some point in time need to seperate them and a union will make that super easy.

I drilled the first tank and then lined them up and used the hole from the first one as a guide to drill the second. Worked like a champ.

Be sure to ensure that the two tanks are level to eachother and that there is no strain on the bulkheads. The glass wont take it and it will crack. Ask me how I know.

I would put them in series.
Did you use a single joint to join the sumps? I read a thread where people suggested using two pipes to make sure you had adequate flow. I wasn't sure whether or not it was worth the extra effort and fittings.

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your option 2 is exactly what I am going to do in the next couple weeks for my 135g DT. I just want to not be so crowded in my one sump (40g) which has live rock, skimmer, Return pump, phosban reactor, heaters...the usual stuff. Plus, I figure more water is a good thing. I will move my return pump to the new section and my reactors etc...as well. Initially was planning to just use one cross connect since my current sump has a plugged pre-drilled 2" hole on the end...however, 2 cannot be a bad option. I am planning to use a union valve in between.

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would opt for simple. The dual sump design would defiantly work, but keep in mind your adding more points of failure. If your budget allows, you may want to look at some of the acrylic sumps out there. Most have refugium sections and you can get multiple sizes. You could even go custom, but that is crazy $$$. I think any of the options would work though as long as they’re planned out and built right.

OP
OP
Bryan Mitchell

Bryan Mitchell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would opt for simple. The dual sump design would defiantly work, but keep in mind your adding more points of failure. If your budget allows, you may want to look at some of the acrylic sumps out there. Most have refugium sections and you can get multiple sizes. You could even go custom, but that is crazy $$$. I think any of the options would work though as long as they’re planned out and built right.
I definitely agree that a dual sump design does introduce some complexity and points of failure. I put the sump I have in the stand and measured what size second sump would fit. After accounting for the plumbing I don't think that I have enough room to plum the system in parallel.

The largest single sump I could fit is a 30"x12" base. I found one on BRS that has 20 gallons water volume and that might be the best option for me.

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use a single joint to join the sumps? I read a thread where people suggested using two pipes to make sure you had adequate flow. I wasn't sure whether or not it was worth the extra effort and fittings.

I started with a single 2" joint. I tested it in a dry run before getting everything all going and I can run my return pump at full speed. I figured that I would add another if the flow test showed it couldnt keep up.

OP
OP
Bryan Mitchell

Bryan Mitchell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I spent some time thinking this over and have decided to keep it simple since this is my first tank. I am going to use the sump I have and plum the system for future modifications or upgrades.
IMG_20171105_192329370.jpg

Has anyone ever seen one of these grated vent drains before (shown on left)? I'm trying to get an idea of how much noise this is going to make and if I need to replace it.
IMG_20171121_183350471.jpg

As always thanks for your thoughts!

MizzouGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm following this 2 sump design (option #2). I don't know my PVC piping options very well. Instead of a bulkhead on each tank with a union and PVC pipe, can I do some sort of flexible PVC between the 2? I'm concern about cracking the glass if I bump it or something in the small space. Not sure if you can use flexible hosing with a bulkhead and union?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 35 27.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back