Two Tangs, two separate diseases?

mnreefster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, have a purple tang and brown powder tang. I suspect ich with the Finn (powder brown) but Poe (purple tang) seems to have a different presentation altogether with a spot that doesn't seem to represent the "classic" ich signs. I tried my best with the pics. I have a QT and the fin on Finn has had signs that have come and gone over the past few weeks so I will be putting all the fish through a QT with a fallow DT for 12 weeks. Really, my question is about Poe and if that is maybe something else, such as a fluke/parasite/tattoo where a FW bath before going in to the QT is a good idea or not? If someone can ID it just by the pics you are wonderful :). Any suggestions, thanks! The spot in question is near the top by his dorsal fin (any other mark is bubbles or pods)
IMG_6249.jpg
IMG_6253.jpg
. Otherwise they are both healthy and still eating well.

IMG_6245.jpg

OP
OP
mnreefster

mnreefster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, trying to edit the original post to provide more context.....

Hey all, have a purple tang and brown powder tang. I suspect ich with Finn (powder brown) but Poe (purple tang) seems to have a different presentation altogether with a spot that doesn't seem to represent the "classic" ich signs (from what I've read and seen at least). I tried my best with the pics but it does seem to be more than just a superficial 'wound'. I have a QT and the fin on Finn has had signs that have come and gone over the past few weeks so I will be putting all the fish through a QT with a fallow DT for 12 weeks in the next few days according to Jay's very helpful post (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/current-quarantine-protocol.825055/). Finn's fin discoloration is near the perimeter. I should also note my water parameters are all WNL, nitrate 3, PO4 0.02, Bicarb, calcium, Mg, pH, salinity all WNL.
IMG_6249.jpg
IMG_6253.jpg
. Otherwise they are both healthy and still eating well.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back