Two Vortech MP40 QWD in Red Sea Reefer XL 425 - on back wall?

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I have the RSR XL 425 coming and have two Vortech MP40 QWD + Reeflink.

The tank is 47” x 22.6” x 22”. I would like to have the two pumps on the back wall on opposite ends of the tank but I don’t want to blow the sand around in the front corners and would like to avoid dead spots. Is this doable?

I can put them on the end walls but would prefer to avoid that if possible.

On my 29G I have 2 x MP10’s and I have them on opposite ends of the tank and it seems to work well - but I never tried it with them on the back.

I’ve only done soft corals in the 29G but I would like to try doing hard corals in the 425.

mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to sway your decision, but I have the 525XL (almost a foot longer) and I've had great sucess with them on the sides. I saw more dead spots with them on the back then on the sides. Your situation may be different since your tank is not as long as mine.

OP
OP
TinyChocobo

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to sway your decision, but I have the 525XL (almost a foot longer) and I've had great sucess with them on the sides. I saw more dead spots with them on the back then on the sides. Your situation may be different since your tank is not as long as mine.
I am ok with them being on the ends but I was really hoping I could have them on the back side. I guess I'll have to try both and see what is what before I put fish/corals in there.

Bos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi, I'm debating on switching to MP40s from the Pulse 4s, on paper they are the same, 4500GPH but I have sand everywhere with the Pulse 4 on the lowest setting....30% and I have water on top of the glass...not good.
What power are your MP40s set at on your 525XL?

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your scape will play a part in how the flow is distributed, try the back wall and bouncing off glass, maybe close to rock work so it is diffused, play around w/ that.
If you can't get what you want there try the sides and see how that goes.

Each tank will be different, but vorts are super easy to move around until you find what works.

I've had times when I may have needed to place a flat rock where sand may have welled up in trying to get perfect placement.

Bos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your scape will play a part in how the flow is distributed, try the back wall and bouncing off glass, maybe close to rock work so it is diffused, play around w/ that.
If you can't get what you want there try the sides and see how that goes.

Each tank will be different, but vorts are super easy to move around until you find what works.

I've had times when I may have needed to place a flat rock where sand may have welled up in trying to get perfect placement.

thanks @davocean I'll try it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back