Tyler's 220 gallon in wall build thread!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard that the banded coral shrimp can be hit or miss, just like peppermint shrimp for aiptasia. I've also heard that whitespotted file fish are supposed to eat them, but that isn't an option if you use your coral/invert QT to try and eliminate fish parasites.
Same

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would manually remove and scrub corals then dip, then rinse with salt water or fresh water then add to display but only because you have taken every precaution known to man so i would hate for you to put them in and then kick yourself later, but i dont think it is that bad if you get them in display.

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@scott11106 @Crabs McJones

So if I wanted to give my rock in my QT a fresh water dip to kill off hydroids. Does it give and reverse effect to water chemistry once I put them back in? As long as they stay wet they would be fine?

Contemplating just removing all rock from the QT to make it easier for hydroid removal

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@scott11106 @Crabs McJones

So if I wanted to give my rock in my QT a fresh water dip to kill off hydroids. Does it give and reverse effect to water chemistry once I put them back in? As long as they stay wet they would be fine?

Contemplating just removing all rock from the QT to make it easier for hydroid removal
as long as it stays damp you will be fine, it may slow the growth of some good bacteria you are trying to build but might be worth that to make sure you have a better chance of removal.

also remember the good thing about rock is that it is porous and that promotes growth inside the structure, the bad side of that is that anything in your tank most likely is also in the rock. but sice they are filter feeders you may be able to get them...i would do it but dont do all rock at once, i would spread out over a couple days to not start a new cycle

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as long as it stays damp you will be fine, it may slow the growth of some good bacteria you are trying to build but might be worth that to make sure you have a better chance of removal.

also remember the good thing about rock is that it is porous and that promotes growth inside the structure, the bad side of that is that anything in your tank most likely is also in the rock. but sice they are filter feeders you may be able to get them...i would do it but dont do all rock at once, i would spread out over a couple days to not start a new cycle

I still have a sand bed in my coral/invert QT. That is the tank I'm removing rock from. I had initially put in to get more rock available for when I want some more in my display. But for the hydroids I see on them. I'm going to nuke them in fresh water and kill everything off. I let one small piece still in tank(because I added two separate types of zoas to it, to grow them blending two colours). And still has entire sand bed, so that should be enough bacteria then right?

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have a sand bed in my coral/invert QT. That is the tank I'm removing rock from. I had initially put in to get more rock available for when I want some more in my display. But for the hydroids I see on them. I'm going to nuke them in fresh water and kill everything off. I let one small piece still in tank(because I added two separate types of zoas to it, to grow them blending two colours). And still has entire sand bed, so that should be enough bacteria then right?
yes but i will tell you that you can clean off, rince and then add back, i would not get too crazy over it as there will be alot of hitchhikers and things that will enter your tank no matter what you do, we do our best to keep them out but it will drive you crazy if you let it,

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes but i will tell you that you can clean off, rince and then add back, i would not get too crazy over it as there will be alot of hitchhikers and things that will enter your tank no matter what you do, we do our best to keep them out but it will drive you crazy if you let it,
I know, but would be nice to avoid these guys. Regardless I'm going to start trasfering coral this week probably. But my Nitrates are zero currently in DT, so need to get that up a little before hand

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JoshH @andrewkw

What do we have available to us in the form of Sodium Nitrate or Potassium Nitrate? For dosing?

My Nitrates have been constantly zero in my DT and want to get it up a bit. Afraid if I trasfer coral over Nitrates will be to low?

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JoshH @andrewkw

What do we have available to us in the form of Sodium Nitrate or Potassium Nitrate? For dosing?

My Nitrates have been constantly zero in my DT and want to get it up a bit. Afraid if I trasfer coral over Nitrates will be to low?

Honestly I've never had to deal with ultra low Nitrate before so I can't really recommend anything but I'll have to follow along @Elder1945 might be a good insight as well

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I could be wrong here, but i read zero Nitrates are bad, and that you should keep some measurable Nitrate levels for coral growth. Is this correct?

For 6 weeks at least my Nitrates are always zero, and Phosphates have bounced between .1 and .6, I auto feed three times a day, 5 fish in DT currently.

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I could be wrong here, but i read zero Nitrates are bad, and that you should keep some measurable Nitrate levels for coral growth. Is this correct?

For 6 weeks at least my Nitrates are always zero, and Phosphates have bounced between .1 and .6, I auto feed three times a day, 5 fish in DT currently.
i have always had zero nitrates, zero nitrite, zero Phosphates and coral growth is above normal

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would agree a FW dip will not kill them but if you manually remove and rinse with fresh i think it would work but i am not sure how to successfully get rid of them 100%
I've had all the rock just soaking in rodi water for days now. I'll scrub and put one in that I know had them. And see what happens

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and guess what everyone!!!!

I WON!!! One of..........

Noopsynce Hybrid Light giveaway on Reef2Reef. In talks with them currently to discuss my options. Pretty sweet, cause I have no luck when it comes to winning anything lol.

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and guess what everyone!!!!

I WON!!! One of..........

Noopsynce Hybrid Light giveaway on Reef2Reef. In talks with them currently to discuss my options. Pretty sweet, cause I have no luck when it comes to winning anything lol.
good for you !!!!! I have not won anything on the giveaways but that is ok, i am happy for you and at least i know real people actually win....refreshing lol.

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good for you !!!!! I have not won anything on the giveaways but that is ok, i am happy for you and at least i know real people actually win....refreshing lol.
BUT.......YOU won an AMAZING spotlight. So we are all winners Haha. I'll keep you posted. Be interesting to see what I'm offered. As I'd love to run t5s with led. Also though I love my hydras, and I just had added Orphek light bars. So I hope they can match that. I'll post photos tonight of what they look like installed.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 162 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back