Tyler's 220 gallon in wall build thread!

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yay, now were talking. Let the fun begin @noopsyche ;)

20190826_165846.jpg

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can never have to much.....lol. just when I think I'm happy and good. I see something new. Also going to keep my QT2 a permanent frag tank for grow out, maybe start selling and recoup some money.

I'd love to be in that position one day - where I'd be able to sell off frags. I don't have nearly enough space, growth, anything, really. It also certainly doesn't make up for the costs of everything, but can put you in the black relative to coral purchases, at least.

Ocean thompson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only like doing things once, the right way. So I tend to pre plan, and forsee as much as possible.

well said my friend....my dad 'Gthompson' is putting a 125 in his wall. so him and i have a job ahead of us man.lol. thats just a 125 but your 220 wow! your gonna need scuba gear to clean it,lol. it looks great and i cant wait to see it when its done. keep on tanking sir.........

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only like doing things once, the right way. So I tend to pre plan, and forsee as much as possible.

well said my friend....my dad 'Gthompson' is putting a 125 in his wall. so him and i have a job ahead of us man.lol. thats just a 125 but your 220 wow! your gonna need scuba gear to clean it,lol. it looks great and i cant wait to see it when its done. keep on tanking sir.........
That platform I made to slide into receiving bars on framing really helps me reach. Photos below show without and with platform slid in.Plus I just slide my current lights up to ceiling. Does create a good amount of room.

20190405_165256.jpg 20190405_165453.jpg

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening #reefsquad,

When acclimation coral, how fast do you raise the light intensity. To reach the respective ranges of par? Do you raise every few days? Week? Is there a set percentage that shouldn't be surpassed each increment? Needing some help, I'd rather not bleach any coral :)

Thanks

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I start every thing on the sand bed for a week for observation and acclimation. Then for the corals that don’t stay on or near the bottom I move them to a frag rack and move them up about 4”. After another week 2”, then another week and another 2”.
As the rack gets to the right height I move the corals off and to the spot I want them.

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I start every thing on the sand bed for a week for observation and acclimation. Then for the corals that don’t stay on or near the bottom I move them to a frag rack and move them up about 4”. After another week 2”, then another week and another 2”.
As the rack gets to the right height I move the corals off and to the spot I want them.
Ok, I'll try something similar then. But I've anchored the sps and few others to small rubble, so rack may not work in my case. I'll see what I can do. Thanks.

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting to see this in lieu of acclimation settings that so many lights have. Is this for corals from online only? Local as well?

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting to see this in lieu of acclimation settings that so many lights have. Is this for corals from online only? Local as well?
I do it for local or online. I like keeping my existing corals, nems, and clams happy. So I wouldn’t use acclimation mode. I would rather move and monitor new corals.

I think it’s not JUST lighting, but also stresses of different water (chemistry mostly), and flow being different.

I’m not at all saying this is how it must be done, only it’s how I do it.

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do it for local or online. I like keeping my existing corals, nems, and clams happy. So I wouldn’t use acclimation mode. I would rather move and monitor new corals.

I think it’s not JUST lighting, but also stresses of different water (chemistry mostly), and flow being different.

I’m not at all saying this is how it must be done, only it’s how I do it.
Interesting; thanks for the quick detour, much appreciated.

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeling a bit devastated......

-Tried my hardest to avoid Digitate Hydroids from getting into my display tank....but failed. There in my display. Scrubbed everything as best as possible, didnt work I guess.
- Lost three purple queens in last 3 days. Seems as though their on a hunger strike and cant get them to eat now ugh...
-Bought a Male female rhomboid pair, female kicked the bucket tonight....
-A blue leg hermit just tor a 1/4" spot into my scoly :(
- and doing water changes on QT1 and QT2, I cross contaminated between the two. Considering they are treated and disease free ready for display in less than 8 days.....

Ughhhh

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeling a bit devastated......

-Tried my hardest to avoid Digitate Hydroids from getting into my display tank....but failed. There in my display. Scrubbed everything as best as possible, didnt work I guess.
- Lost three purple queens in last 3 days. Seems as though their on a hunger strike and cant get them to eat now ugh...
-Bought a Male female rhomboid pair, female kicked the bucket tonight....
-A blue leg hermit just tor a 1/4" spot into my scoly :(
- and doing water changes on QT1 and QT2, I cross contaminated between the two. Considering they are treated and disease free ready for display in less than 8 days.....

Ughhhh

Really sorry to hear about all this. Hope that the male rhomboid pulls through, at least. Are you gonna have to drain and refill the QT tanks to undo the cross contamination?

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really sorry to hear about all this. Hope that the male rhomboid pulls through, at least. Are you gonna have to drain and refill the QT tanks to undo the cross contamination?
Usually after I trafer the clean fish. I drain down and re sterilize it. But now I can only wait and see. As I have nowhere to put fish even if I wanted to drain it down. And would make a difference at this point anyway, cause if there was a feee swimmer, I'm screwed. Fingers crossed there were no free swimmers in my frag tank that could have hitched a ride. Time will tell.
Been a rough few days in the fish room

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually after I trafer the clean fish. I drain down and re sterilize it. But now I can only wait and see. As I have nowhere to put fish even if I wanted to drain it down. And would make a difference at this point anyway, cause if there was a feee swimmer, I'm screwed. Fingers crossed there were no free swimmers in my frag tank that could have hitched a ride. Time will tell.
Been a rough few days in the fish room
So sorry to hear... I'll hope for the best for you!

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#Reefsquadleaders,

Weirdest thing just happen. Not sure if normal or bad? I was moving one of my Wav pumps. Left hand was in water, a steel column beside tank. My hand brushed agaist and I can feel voltage? Literally feel a current?

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#Reefsquadleaders,

Weirdest thing just happen. Not sure if normal or bad? I was moving one of my Wav pumps. Left hand was in water, a steel column beside tank. My hand brushed agaist and I can feel voltage? Literally feel a current?

You have something that is leaking electricity. It could be the wav pump it could be a heater or anything else for that matter.

You can unplug things one by one to figure out what it is. You may want to use a multimeter instead of your hand but that’s up to you. If you have any small cuts on your hands you will feel it a lot more.

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have something that is leaking electricity. It could be the wav pump it could be a heater or anything else for that matter.

You can unplug things one by one to figure out what it is. You may want to use a multimeter instead of your hand but that’s up to you. If you have any small cuts on your hands you will feel it a lot more.
Narrowed it down to my UV. Darn, what would cause this? Any idea....

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it the UV unit or the pump that feeds the UV? Water is getting to the voltage somewhere....broken seal, frayed wires, etc.

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it the UV unit or the pump that feeds the UV? Water is getting to the voltage somewhere....broken seal, frayed wires, etc.
Uv comes off from a cor20. Basic bypass and balance with some ball valves. I had turned everything one by one on and off. Had everything electrically off that touches any water. Turn UV on, got shocked. Turn off there was no shock/current. Turned back on, got shocked again. Turned everything on except UV. And all feels good. Taking UV apart shortly to take a look

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@andrewkw @redfishbluefish

Lucky I found this before it caused a fire. What a poor design the Coralife Turbotwist 12x. Relies on one gasket to seal canister. And as you thread cap on(with the bulb and wiring) every spins around canister, but the gasket is in that same cap, which when nearly tight it will cause friction between the two pieces and possibly roll over or mis align. Surprised that pin didnt cause a short. Brutal

Thanks for your help guys.

20190902_160710.jpg 20190902_162508.jpg 20190902_182250.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%

Back